Monday, September 16, 2013

The System

This is the newest book on my Kindle.  It has two chapters that were recently excerpted in the DesNews.  If the rest of the book is as good as these two chapters, this may well be one of the best books that I've read in a long time:

Kyle Van Noy:
Kyle Van Noy Awaits the Snap...
Kyle is one of the best linebackers in the country last year and this year.  He is likely going to be a very high draft pick in the NFL draft this Spring.  He basically won BYU's bowl game last December (against San Diego State) single-handedly--even though he is a defensive player--by blocking a punt, intercepting a pass which he returned for a touchdown, and forcing a fumble which he then returned for a touchdown.

For a defensive player to score two touchdowns in a bowl game is almost unheard of.  He's had a great career at BYU...but he almost didn't come to BYU.  Here is the backstory behind Van Noy's decision to come to BYU:
Kyle Van Noy is one of the reasons that I love BYU and I love BYU football.  No he is not perfect, but none of us are.  His decision to sit out an entire season so that he could come to BYU is admirable (and almost beyond belief).  It would have been very easy for him to go to another school and tell himself that he was going to make the changes necessary to get his life back in order at that other school.  But he didn't do that.  He knew that he was supposed to be at BYU and he made the necessary sacrifices so that he could attend (and play for) BYU.

I'm excited to see what Van Noy can accomplish at BYU this season, in his NFL career, and in life.  But in the meantime, I'll feel good cheering for him (and the rest of the Cougars) this Fall.

Bronco Mendenhall:
Bronco shows some emotion on the sidelines
How can you not like Bronco Mendenhall?  First of all, he's got a great name.  Second, he is loyal.  Third, his teams play with energy and passion.  I remember when he was first hired as BYU's defensive coordinator, I used to root for his defense to take the field because Bronco's defense at BYU was more exciting to watch than BYU's offense.  At a school known for its high-powered passing attack like BYU, this represented a fundamental paradigm shift.  (Of course, this was in the Gary Crowton years when the offense was a bit stagnant).

Here's the excerpt about Bronco from the book:
I love that Bronco was loyal to his friend Gary Crowton.  I love that Bronco's players were loyal to him and went to the school's administration to support him.  And I love that one of the first things that Bronco did after getting hired was to get on his knees and pray.  (I can relate to feeling so overwhelmed with a new assignment that I felt like I needed to pray for guidance.)  

Anyway, I'm grateful that it's football season and I'm grateful for the opportunity to cheer for the Cougars.  Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll actually be able to see a game this season.  In person.  Go Cougs!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment