Sunday, September 22, 2013

Wide Open Spaces

Wide Open Spaces
I made it to my storage shed today.  Everything looks like it made it.  :-)  As I left to head home, I noticed the mountains above.  It reminded me of this Dixie Chicks song that I've always loved.  And it made me happy that I'm living in such a beautiful place.

Across the valley, you can see Mt. Timpanogos on the left and then to the right of that is Y Mountain (and BYU).  I have many memories of driving up to Salt Lake as a kid in our big blue suburban with kids piled everywhere.  We would excitedly look for the "Y" on the mountain (not so easy to see the white "Y" when the mountain was covered in snow!) and then "Timp" always reminds me of the legend that says Timp's peaks hold the outline of a sleeping Indian princess.

Then, if you look south, you can see Utah Lake.  I love that a thunderstorm seems poised to sweep through the south end of Utah Lake in this photo.
The view to the South...
To the North, I can Point of the Mountain (which is steadily being chopped away by the companies mining sand and gravel from it) and the Adobe building in Lehi.  Wide open spaces, indeed...
Point of the Mountain is to the left...
The movers did a good job with the storage unit.  This is what it looked like when I opened it up:
Can't hardly wait to unpack this...NOT!
The main reason for going there was to get my passport, which I need for my first day of work tomorrow.  I opened up one box and didn't see it.  Then I realized that I was in trouble--because I really need my passport to verify my employment eligibility and I didn't want to spend all day hunting through boxes!

I said a quick but sincere prayer.  Then I opened another box:
Eureka!
Or perhaps more appropriately, Hallelujah!  It was literally an answer to prayer!  And I was so grateful.

I am so excited to be here that I couldn't stop myself.  I'm staying with my sister and her husband for a little bit and I couldn't help but notice a couple of items that needed a quick fix.  Luckily, I had my toolbag and set about trying to make myself useful.  Here's a partial list of some of my projects today:
  • Fixed the shower knob (this was total self-interest...It was working, which forced me to have a cold shower last night.  I didn't want to have another one tomorrow!)
  • Fixed the toilet paper holder in the master bathroom
  • Fixed a slow draining sink in the guest bathroom (out of respect for my sister, I am NOT posting pics of the clog)
  • Fixed the towel rack in the guest bathroom (it was pulling out of the wall because the builder hadn't used drywall anchors or drywall screws)
That was all before dinner.  Dinner was at one of my sister's houses (J.--I have 5 sisters!).  She put on quite the spread!

We finished off the evening by going to visit 3 more of my sisters...it totally felt like a family reunion!
Three of my cute sisters
New city...new job...lots of stuff to do...but I feel like I'm off to a good start.  I've traded the beach for the mountains, but I'm loving the wide open spaces!  :-)


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Utah, Greg and family. Maybe we'll have a Dyer/Marshall reunion some time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez! Everyone is moving to Utah! ...Okay, well, you and Brooke's sister, Ashley. But that is a lot of people in a short amount of time!

    ...I go MIA on blog reading and then do a bunch of binge blog reading. I clearly have a lot to catch up on here! But allow me to wish you and your family the best of luck with the move and the new job. Congrats! (And yay for finding your passport so quickly!)

    ReplyDelete