Friday, September 28, 2012

Look Ma, No Cavities!

In the Chair with my Laser-Proof Glasses
Going to the dentist has never frightened me.  I do find it unpleasant, but mostly because dentists have managed to find the nastiest stuff anywhere and use it on your teeth as "polish."

Seriously, I've had my teeth cleaned at the dentist's office before with peach flavored polish.  I love peaches, but this stuff tastes nothing like peaches.  And I'm not sure that there has ever been a synthetic peach flavor that's ever tasted great!  I think they all taste gross and nasty!

My visit yesterday got all high tech on me.  For $35 bucks (not covered by insurance), they offered to use a laser on me to kill all sorts of bad stuff in my mouth.  It wouldn't hurt and would take an extra 5-10 minutes.    Like a sucker, I went for it.

They were right.  It didn't hurt and it did only take 5-10 minutes.  They also came out with a pair of "sweet" laser proof glasses that I got to wear for the rest of the visit.  But I don't know if my mouth feels cleaner or not following my laser experience.  They still had to use some pretty nasty polish (mint flavored).  I hate sitting through that stuff even though I know that you have to do it.
My eyes are wide shut...
...hoping the unpleasantness will be over soon!

Fortunately, I have a great dentist.  And the staff at his office is great.  He better be a great dentist, he's been treating me and my family for probably 20 years!  Plus, his office is about a 120 mile round trip from my house and I gladly make the trek, so that's telling you something.

One of the reasons that he's so great is that he is a perfectionist.  I know that the work he does is pristine and immaculate.  And I sleep better at night knowing that my dentist is taking care of me.  Also, I know, with every fiber of my being, that if anyone cares more about my teeth than I do, it's my dentist.  That's a great quality to have in your dentist.

I haven't had a cavity in probably over five years, but every time I walk out of his office, I get the form that gives the "prognosis" for my teeth.  The options are as follows: Excellent, Good, Fair, and Poor.

Every single time, my prognosis is "Fair."  I wonder what it'd be if I actually had a cavity!  I think that his motivational style is very similar to the technique used by intelligence officers to break enemy prisoners....the style is called: "Fear Up."  Fortunately, he's so nice that I almost don't mind feeling so guilty about the uncertain prognosis of my dental health!

All in all, I think I'm lucky to have a great dentist and I'm glad I don't have to be in his office more frequently.  I consider yesterday's visit a success--it's just too bad I didn't get to keep the sweet glasses!


No comments:

Post a Comment