Monday, September 10, 2012

A Year in the Life...

My Uncle and Me
My blog is one year old today.  I never actually thought that I would have a blog, much less be fairly active at blogging for an entire year (despite my dearth of recent posts...). There are things that I've loved about blogging and things that I don't like.

I feel like I'm at my best when I blog about things that inspire me.  I try to keep my posts short and pithy, if for no other reason than to keep The Mostess from complaining about my allegedly neverending Bachelorette recaps...

Sure, it's not all roses trying to keep a blog.  Probably the worst thing is the sense of guilt that I feel about not bogging certain things.  Here's a short list of the blog post topics that are rattling around in my head that may never actually see the light of day: Pumpkinman 2011; Hawaii Recap 2012; Ironman "Glory" Post (not that there is much "glory" for that one!); more posts/pictures of the kids; Cub Scout Camp; Scout Camp; Camp Pendleton Tri 2012, etc.
Probably my favorite picture from our (as yet) unblogged Hawaiian adventure earlier this year...
Also, the very act of creating a post is a somewhat personal exercise.  I appreciate all the more the courage that other bloggers have to share their hopes, dreams, successes, and fears with the "Blogosphere."  I'd like to think that I've had a post or two that have brightened someone's day or made someone feel better.

But there are lots of good things about having a blog.  :-)  So, without further ado, here is my Top 10 Best Things About Having a Blog for the Past Year:

10.  It's a good excuse to shamelessly post cute pictures of your kids.  Justify it by telling yourself that it's for the grandparents to enjoy.  ;-)
First Day of School/Shameless Baby Pic
E. Plays at the Beach on Labor Day
9.  Tell yourself that the countless hours of thinking about, writing, revising, and visiting your blog are worthwhile because you're really just keeping a high-tech journal.

8. When someone asks you what you've been up to lately, you can look at them with a smug face and say, "Don't you read my blog?"

7. It's great to see your blog get visitors from literally all over the world.  :-)
Australia

Nepal, India, and Brazil
6. I think my sense of humor has improved (even if my friends and family don't...)!

5. I get to be a part of the "Blogosphere" even if I'm not really sure what that is...  :-/

4. I feel like the creative exercise of attempting to craft a semi-interesting post for my blog has made me a better writer overall.

3. It's an awesome way to wish Happy Birthday to a friend or family member.

2.  You can get away with taking a picture of anything by just telling people that it's "for the blog."
Random Pic for the Blog

Tito's Famous Tacos
1. Those rare moments when someone tells you that they read your blog and they love it.  :-)
My Brother, My Cousins, and Me
On Saturday, we had a brunch with our extended family at a really nice place up in the Westwood area of Los Angeles.  We were there for my cousin's sealing and I was eating this awesome sweet crepe when my cousin, Ina, started telling me that she had randomly clicked onto some blog post about the past season of the Batchelor.

She started reading the post and was telling us how funny she thought it was.  Then she said, "And then I realized that it was your blog!"  :-)

Bless your heart Ina!  You totally made my day by telling me that.  And the best part was that she hadn't even realized that it was my blog post when she started reading it.  But moments like that make me think that blogging is pretty cool.

But, maybe even better than that is that I have "met" some awesome new (blogging) friends who have read my blog or have put some fun, entertaining stuff on their own blogs.

If you're reading this, chances are that you're one of those blogging friends, so thank you!

10 comments:

  1. I too love blogging, and have really enjoyed yours. Your kids are so precious and I've appreciated it when you've commented on my blog, it is always nice to know someone is really "out" there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your always smart and considered posts. I love looking at pics of your kids, the places you travel and the food you eat (cos I am very nosy).
    Congrats on a whole year of blogging. Keep on Keeping on!
    E :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy (blog) birthday!!!!
    Now I want you to write a book. I'm serious.

    love,
    em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shavanna, thank you so much for your comments! I have enjoyed reading your posts on your blog as well. You have a lot to offer the blogosphere and I'm so glad you stumbled across my blog!

    Elizabeth, I hope you liked the picture of Ayers Rock. I put it up specifically in your honor. I wanted to do a pic of the Great Barrier Reef, but couldn't find one that I loved. I love reading your blog as well and seeing what you and your family are up to!

    Ocho, I'm not sure what type of book you have in mind? :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those posts were like the new Neverending Story.

    I think Ina was pulling your leg.

    I love all of your reasons, especially the one you get to justify pictures (for the blog), and never feel the need to update people (dude, it's on the blog).

    Happy blog bday!! Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to find out more about Tito and his tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaari, your objection is overruled! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just visited your blog--I've been MIA for a bit--while simultaneously checking my email and lo and behold, you have just posted on my blog!

    This is a great list. I happen to love that BYU onesie and love all of these reasons as well. Happy (belated) Birthday, Home Court Haven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Em--

    Welcome back! I've enjoyed your blog over the past year too! Please keep writing!

    Greg

    ReplyDelete