Saturday, September 10, 2011

What A Difference A Decade Makes...


Ten years ago today (September 10, 2001), I started my legal career. I remember a little about my first day on the job, much more about my second. (Who doesn't remember where they were on that day?)

My new firm put Julie and me up in the Four Seasons in Philadephia for my first few days on the job. I left the hotel and went across the street that first morning to our orientation at the top of the Bell Atlantic Tower. I wasn't sure what was expected of me, except that I figured I would be asked to work hard. And I was ready for it (or at least I thought I was...).


Little did I know that forces were already in motion that would impact the way we live our lives.

Much has changed in the past 10 years. At the airport today, both my wife and I were singled out for enhanced security. I opted to stand with my hands above my head for some sort of body scan device so that I wasn't subjected to a full body patdown that I was warned would include "sensitive areas."

I also forgot to take the liquids out of my bag, so I had to watch while a "friendly" TSA agent took out my cough syrup, tooth paste, deodorant, and soiled laundry bag. (There's nothing like having your dirty laundry aired in public...)

On September 10, 2001, I could not have imagined that this would have seemed normal 10 years later. I don't know if it is good or bad that this is now routine. I'm not even sure if it makes me feel safer. But I do not know that things have changed.

On the legal front, in the past ten years, I have billed many thousands and thousands of hours (worked many, many more than that), represented hundreds of clients, and worked for four different law firms. I have helped a client who lost her husband win a jury award of millions of dollars, I have tried a case with my dad, I took my first deposition (and countless others after that), I have helped settle many disputes. I feel like my clients know that I care about them and their problems. I am grateful for the confidence my clients have placed in me and I always want to be worthy of that confidence.

I have worked hard and I am a better attorney than I was 10 years ago. Being an attorney is not an easy job. But being an attorney can be really fun (at times) and I have felt a sense of personal satisfaction at helping my clients resolve complicated issues.

I have a few gray hairs now--though I'm not actually sure if those hairs are from my cases or from my kids. (Probably both!) And I look at the picture of myself at the top of this post (my first professional picture as an attorney) and I think that I didn't really look old enough to be an attorney.

I don't really like change. But I know that it is essential both personally and professionally. 10 years from now, I expect to be a much better attorney than I am today. And I expect to be a better person, better husband, and better father as well. It will take continued hard work, but I am just as confident today as I was 10 years ago that that I can do it.

I guess that part remains the same.

4 comments:

  1. i love this whole post. i'm so excited for the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do look really young in that first photo...you need to age a little in the next ten years and make the rest of us feel better.

    I can't believe you starting your career the day before 9/11. That's crazy.

    I always seem to get picked for the scanner/pat down/frisk. I actually don't mind that as much as I mind the TSA agents rifeling through my bag...it's annoying.

    You are a good attorney, but most importantly, you are a great husband and father. I loved seeing you open the door forJulie...chivalry is not dead! I hope it ins't 10 years before I see you again! Welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg!!
    Job well done. I will be waiting anxiously for your next blog. You have so much to share with us. I am overwhelmed at the thought of your first day as a lawyer being the last day before the twin towers fell.

    It was wonderful to see you and Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure I have more gray hairs than you. I can't wait to keep reading. I remember being so worried about you in Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete