Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Rules



I usually like to follow rules, but I broke one today. I'll get into that in a moment, but first some background:

I am a self-confessed "fashion idiot." I know almost nothing about fashion. In fact, my wife has threatened to submit my name to "What Not to Wear." Seriously...

A friend of mine recently did a blog post about fashion. Reading the post re-
confirmed to me how little I actually know about the topic. For example, I hope
I'm not the only one who had no idea what a "pencil skirt" was, but I probably am.
And yes, I actually did look it up.

Even though I know very little about fashion, I feel like I can appreciate good fashion. I just don't know what makes it good or why. But like Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

That's still not much help if I need to figure out what to wear (i.e. to church, work,
or in a social setting). Once I got married, I assumed that I could delegate
wardrobe selection duties to my wife. I also assumed that if she gave me a piece of
clothing to wear, I was golden (even if I didn't actually get around to wearing it for a while—like a year or two). I was wrong.

Apparently fashionable styles come and go. (who knew???) But for someone like me who doesn't understand the whims or vagaries of the fashion world, it can be bewildering...

Fortunately, my profession depends on rules. I understand them and, more
importantly, I am trained to memorize them and make them work for me. I know
that fashion has its own rules and I’ve managed to memorize some of the more important ones that would apply to me.

(That doesn’t mean I know all the rules. For example, I know that you are not supposed to wear white after Memorial Day (or something like that), but I think
that applies only to women. Hence no need for me to waste any of my time memorizing that one…)

Here are some of the fashion rules that I have tried to commit to memory:

#1 - Always wear a belt (unless wearing suspenders).

#2 - The color of your belt should match the color of your shoes.

#3 - Wrinkly dress shirts look terrible. Save yourself lots of time and headache by just buying a good quality non-iron dress shirt.

#4 - In casual or social situations, it’s generally not a good idea to tuck in your shirt..

#5 - Pants should not look like this (yes, I know these are women, but that still doesn’t make it look any better. Trust me, it looks worse on a man):


#6 - Wear socks or sandals—not both.
#7 - The color of your socks should match the color of your pants.

And that brings me back to my confession:

I admit it, I broke Rule #7 today. Yes, it’s true. I wore black socks with tan pants. I can’t remember whether I just forgot about Rule #7 temporarily or if I was too lazy to root around a bit deeper in my sock drawer for the right color socks to match my pants. But I’m guilty.

But here’s my question, is it really that bad? I feel like breaking Rule #7 is forgivable if the color the socks at least matches the color of the shoes. What do you think? Does anyone out there think that any of these rules need to be updated?

Let's hope so, I don't know if I'd be able to get over the embarrassment of being ambushed someday by Stacy London and Clinton Kelly!

9 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh out loud. The bums photo (rule #5) cracked me up the most because I didn't think men thought about such things. But I agree, pants that tight are bad on women, and even worse on men.

    The no white after Memorial Day comment was so classic because it shows how clueless you really are...the rule is actually no white after Labor Day but I love that you didn't know that.

    Sam was constantly violating #2 until I realized he didn't have a black belt...sometimes men know the rules but don't have the energy to follow them...in Sam's case...he didn't care enough to go buy a black belt.

    I pray #6 never comes back....the 90s gave us Tevas with socks and some guys are still doing it. May that look never return.

    And as for #7, I always match my socks to my shoes...I think you are right on the rule but I personally think either way is fine.

    I personally hope Julie gets you ambushed by Stacy and Clinton. I would just Love to see you on the show!

    Thanks for the link...I am preparing myself for an influx of new readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll NEVER get on the "What not to wear" show. Just the fact that you've identified the fashion sins that you did shows you are a decent dresser. It did give me an idea, however. I'm going to see if I can get MY husband on the show. He doesn't even know that there ARE rules. . .he does stuff like tucking in his shirt at a YM/YW joint activity -kickball game. Yikes. He's also been known to wear ALL denim - LIGHT denim - head to toe!
    By the way, Brooke "sent me." I'm her mom - met you & Julie a couple of weeks ago. Tell Julie "hello!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the Warner comment section I suppose!

    I didn't know the socks rule--I would guess they should match the shoes or the pants but I wouldn't know which, so that's a no, it isn't really that bad!

    Men can get away with so much more fashion rule-breaking than women. Even Obama wears mom jeans. You are smart to just buy an expensive Brooks Brothers shirt and go with that. My husband swears by those as well and so do I because I don't want him expecting me to iron.

    I love your rule about not tucking in at casual events! Shout that one from the rooftops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a Warner-Palooza of comments and I love it! You guys have such a great family!

    Ashley, welcome back from Hawaii. I'm sure your seminary class missed you.

    Linda, it was way fun to meet you, but I felt like I already knew you a bit from your entertaining comments on these blogs.

    Brooke, in my defense, I don't own any white "outfits" (isn't that what women call their daily clothing ensemble), so yet another reason for me not to know that rule about Labor Day. Plus, I can guarantee that Julie is not depending on me for fashion advice--she doesn't need it. I just tell her that everything looks good on her!

    Thanks so much for commmenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other day, I was SUPER CLOSE to wearing one yellow sock and one purple sock because I haven't done laundry in DAYS AND DAYS. Luckily I found a pair of socks that I hate but at least they matched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a friend of Brooke's and I thoroughly enjoyed your take on fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke sent me here and I have to say, my husband is pretty metro sexual and he says that you are supposed to match your socks to your shoes, not your pants so you are good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea and the DeVito's, thanks for your comments! Any friend of Brooke's is a friend of mine. I'm glad that you enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe we shared a blog post by Brooke!

    Just wanted to say that the fact that you have fashion rules at all is impressive. My husband's work allows him to be somewhat casual, but he could still give this post a read. It would only do him good.

    Hope the Blank Blank Marathon went well for you.

    ReplyDelete