Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Yesterday was one of those days.  A series of unfortunate events combined against me, only this was no Lemony Snicket novel...it was real life.

First, we got socked with a heat wave that pushed temps to the mid-80s.  It was so hot, that I decided to push my training run to the night so as to escape the heat of the day.

Second, I had a big work project that kept me chained to my laptop through the heat of the day.  At least I was inside where it was cooler, but I couldn't take my kids to the beach or do something fun.  I am pretty busy during the week, so I try hard to keep my weekends free to do family stuff with the kids.  Yesterday would have been ideal to hit the beach, but my project made it impossible.

Third, our good friends (Royal and Nicole) are moving to Arizona and their farewell party was yesterday afternoon/evening.  The party was fun and the food was fantastic.  Nicole is pretty much a gourmet baker of desserts and her talents were on full display.  I consciously had to hold back for fear that my workouts would never be able to keep up with the calories I was consuming.  I'm happy for Royal's great new job, but selfishly I'm going to miss both of them. A lot.  Royal has been a great race partner and Nicole has always been super nice to me.

During the party, I handed my iPhone to Baby M. to keep him occupied.  Big mistake.  Baby M. decided to channel Cy Young and threw my iPhone down onto the concrete.  My iPhone responded by giving me the "Dreaded Green Screen of Death."  Hence no pics of Royal and Nicole's party.  The phone is barely functional.  Worse, I hate breaking things and losing things, so breaking my phone at the party that was already making me sad did nothing for my mood.

My brother came up after the party and we were supposed to do our run together, but that didn't happen.  I was consumed with trying to get my iPhone fixed and I found a kiosk at the mall that claimed to be able to fix it.  I jumped into my car to drive to the mall only to find that the battery was dead.  Kaput.  I got the car jumped just as my brother arrived.  The car turned on [barely] just as he pulled up and made a horrendous sound.  My brother diagnosed the problem for me...my engine was blown.  Those were unfortunate event numbers five (dead battery) and six (blown engine).
Photo: My car just got its first tune-up yesterday.  Do you think it'll last another 212,000 miles before it needs another one?
It doesn't look that old does it?
At this point I was too despondent to deal with R.'s complaint that his Kindle wasn't working.  I told him to charge it overnight and we'd check it in the morning.  I think at this point I was afraid of anything else that I owned falling to pieces!

My brother was kind enough to drive to the mall.  I figure that my day had finally hit rock bottom with the realization that my car (which has nearly 245,000 miles on it) was going to be towed out of my driveway and I'd never see it again.  I can tell you that I had plenty of other things in my budget to spend money on.  My car is 8.5 years old and nearly a quarter of a million miles on it, but I was in no hurry to replace it.  When you have kids, it seems like there are always things that they need more than I need a new car.  In addition, I really don't have an ego about my car.  It works great and doesn't cost me a lot to get around.  I'm good with that.

We got to the mall and the kiosk guy "fixed" my iPhone.  The battery on my phone was dead, so I had to charge it before I could start using it again, so I went to the Verizon store to charge it.  I got the phone charged and guess what...still broken.  :-/

At this point, I had the Verizon guy check the account and turns out I had free replacement coverage on the phone through my job.  After what seemed like an eternity, I left the store without a phone (bummer), but with the promise that my brand new iPhone is being shipped directly to my office for Tuesday (yay!).

Then we got home.  It was late and my brother and I were both tired. I grabbed my keys and walked over for one last look at my poor car.  I distinctly remember saying to my brother as we walked over to it: "It's too bad you can't give a car a priesthood blessing."  His reply: "Yeah, but that would be like trying to heal a 100-year-old man.  It's had a good life."

Yes, it has, but I started it up anyway.  To my surprise, the car started and worked!  I got back in it today and was able to drive it to church. It was "good as new"--as if nothing had ever happened.  I really and truly do believe that it's a miracle.  I wish that I could say that it's because I was living right or that I somehow "deserved" divine intervention.  But I don't think that's the case.  I do think that it was an example of Heavenly Father being merciful though.  And for that I'm grateful.
NAME: LaFerrari is Italian for “The Ferrari.” In English or Italian, it sounds dumb.
La Ferrari -- My next car?  ;-)
It has got me thinking that I should be prepared to replace my car at some point.  It is probably unrealistic of me to think that I can get it to drive a million miles--or even another 250,000.  Anyone have any good ideas?  :-)

So in the end, it all worked out.  I was so relieved that I was able to replace my iPhone for free and that I wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on a new car, that it overshadowed the series of unfortunate events that had befallen me earlier in the day.  So much so that I was almost tempted to name this post after another book--Shakespeare's "All's Well That Ends Well."

PS--I also fixed R.'s Kindle today too!  What can I say, I was on a roll!  :-)


2 comments:

  1. These are all good things! Yeah for a new phone... yeah for a car that works. But seriously you SHOULD be planning that at any moment it will die and start shopping around. The van is just 25k behind you, and we know it's days are limited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it rains it pours. Glad it all worked out. And sorry that Royal and Nicole are moving. I know how much you and Julie like them.

    ReplyDelete