Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Cub Scout Camp 2013

Cub Scout Camp is all week for our camp, but I drew parent volunteer duty today. I'm here with one other mom to supervise the 7 kids ages 8-10 who are part of our den. All told, there are probably a couple hundred kids here. 
This picture shows about half the camp at the opening flag ceremony.

The day got off to a great start when I was signing in this morning. As I bent over to check in, one of the rambunctious kids yelled right in my ear. It wasn't intentional, but it also wasn't very fun. I hope that's not a harbinger of things to come. 

I'm going to try and post some pics and updates throughout the day. 
First station of the morning was arts and crafts where the boys made fishes out of a CD. It went a lot better after S. figured out how to use the glue dots. I think a lot of glue dots got wasted. Hope they don't run out by the end if the day...  :-/
Archery was up next. I even got to shoot a few, which was fun. I was impressed with how well the kids listened to the archery RangeMaster, and how well they shot. 
The June Gloom is in full effect at the moment, but maybe the sun will burn off the coastal haze soon. 

Now it's on to lunch...
30 minutes left for lunch. I don't know what we would do if the fire department hadn't come to the rescue!
Cheap entertainment  :-)
The firefighters truly showed that they are Camp Pendleton's bravest by facing the onslaught of bored, hot cub scouters with nothing but their fire houses for protection.  Still, I think the firefighters came out on top judging by how wet the kids were...
Following boogie board races in a shallow pond built by the camp staff and a windy beach ball/volleyball game, we are on to knots...
Luckily, all the boys managed to master tying a square knot. As a reward, they got to tackle this obstacle...
Less than an hour left people!!
The grand finale...the cub scouters hit this water slides while I find a nice seat in the shade.  #bestideaever
These helicopters have been buzzing the camp all day. It's been really fun!  It's also been awesome seeing the tanks and humvees roll by all day too. 

Camp's done and we are out if here. Too bad I won't be back tomorrow. :-/

I'm so tired that I'd go take a nap if I didn't have to go into work!








No comments:

Post a Comment