Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hitting 400!

"High Five!"

Hitting .400 is the Holy Grail for any major league baseball player.  It hasn't been done since Ted Williams hit .406 in 1941.  A couple of players have come close--including one of my heroes, Tony Gwynn of the San Diego Padres in 1994 (.394).

I'm not a major league baseball player, but tonight, I did something that I had never done before...I got over 400 miles on a single tank of gas.  I fueled up in Flagstaff, Arizona and didn't have to stop for fuel again until Nephi, Utah...422.5 miles!  That worked out to 35.7 mpg.  

Even when my car was brand new, I was never able to achieve that mark.  As the gas gauge dipped lower and lower, I felt a bit like Kramer test driving that car in the Seinfeld episode "The Dealership."  Unlike Kramer, however, I didn't run out of gas.  :-)

Not too shabby for 259,000 miles and 9+ years of service...I guess my car may still have some life left in it!
Nearly two gallons to spare!

No comments:

Post a Comment