Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Just Finish

Panama City, Florida
Florida has been on my mind for nearly a year now.  I finally made it today and this is the view that greeted my brother and I as we touched down tonight.

It was interesting on the plane.  I'd say that about half of the passengers at least looked like they were competing in the Ironman this weekend.  There were all types of people...older, younger, male, and female, but they all had a couple of things in common (besides the Ironman backpacks and associated gear/swag).  They had on running shoes and they looked ripped!

It was also pretty cool that I saw and recognized Mirinda Carfrae--a professional triathlete and Ironman World Champion--on our flight.  She is going to be doing the race as well!  I guarantee she'll probably be twice as fast as I will be!  

I thought that I was in halfway decent shape for this race, but now I'm not so sure.  I guess when you spend as much time as you need to spend for this type of endurance race, you get that lean, fit look.  I'm not so sure anyone would have mistaken me for an Ironman competitor if I hadn't been wearing an Ironman sweater and toting an Ironman St. George backpack.  (Several people on the flight, however, and the girl at the rental counter booth asked if my brother and I were twins though!)
Brothers and seatmates--but not twins...
It's fun to be here with with my brother.  It would be great if I could keep up with him so that we could do a chunk of the race together.  Doing the marathon portion of Ironman St. George in 2012 was one of the highlights of my life.  It would be great if we had a chance to do it again on Saturday.

Dinner tonight was at a Southern style pit bbq place.  Maybe I was just hungry, but it was good!  I attacked my plate with a vengeance and cleaned it up so that there was not a single crumb left.  I had the pulled pork.  My brother had the brisket.  We both agreed that I got the better end of the deal.  The bbq sauce was outstanding as well!  (Sorry, no pics of dinner because my phone was almost out of juice and the food just didn't last that long!)

I can't wait to see the course tomorrow.  I don't have any big goals for this weekend.  My only goal is to just finish the race!

3 comments:

  1. We're cheering you on from Virginia! Go Dyers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Looking forward to the posts about it.
    (Next time tell Scott to smile!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I hope there are calm skies (no wind) and good temps for your fun adventure! Wish we could be there!

    ReplyDelete