Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween 2011

It was a dark, foggy night in San Clemente...and as the night got darker, the fog only got deeper...

In short, it was a perfect night for trick or treating!

It's amazing how kids intuitively grasp the nuances of Halloween...
you walk up and people hand you candy!  Repeat at the next house...

Note how J. and I kind of managed to coordinate our costumes...


I got to hold E.'s hand as we walked around the neighborhood.  She was so excited.

At one point, she forgot her pumpkin so she had me holding her candy, then she asked S. if she could put her candy in his pumpkin.  He was so cute with her.

As a parent, nothing makes me happier than when my kids get along.  It made for a really fun evening!  :)



For the first time in recent memory, I had a "real" costume.  Mostly that's because I put this together for my Pumpkinman triathlon a couple weeks back.  (I need to do a post on that race...)  I was actually proud of my creativity in making this work.
This is how my costume originally looked
The Mask
This costume had to have been designed for a very, very small person.  The costume was an adult "OSFM" (One Size Fits Most).  Apparently, I'm just a bit larger than your average "Most."  No offense to Ralph Macchio, but he most be really short because the Cobra Kai skeleton gang towered over him and I must tower over them.  There was no way that I could have fit into this costume straight out of the box.

Because I have no sewing skills to speak of (though I wish I did...), I took the costume up to the Garment District in downtown LA for lunch one day.  I had the tailor cut the OSFM jumpsuit you see in the picture in half.  Then he added an elastic waist band to the pants and some extra material to the shirt, making it a two piece.  Even with all that, it was still too short, so I added some black compression spandex to wear underneath.  Then, I topped it off with the skeleton mask.  I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

I even got a few compliments on it at our church "trunk-or-treat" on Saturday night.  (It also helped me win the award for best costume at this year's Pumpkinman.)  I have to admit that seeing the whole thing come together was a lot of fun!

Now I'm exhausted from our Halloween activities and I'm glad we have another year to recover before we have do it again!

8 comments:

  1. Unless you took photos at a pumpkin patch, helped with two Halloween parties at school, one preschool party, a gym spooktacular, ward trunk or treat, and carved pumpkins, I don't want to hear you say how exhausted Halloween made you ...:-)

    I do tip my hat to you for the his and hers skeleton costumes...clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E is a total doll in her costume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke's comment cracks me up. She is right, though. Brooke wins the Halloween Queen crown.

    Where on earth did you get that Karate Kid skeleton costume??? You and my husband should be friends. He was begging me to be a skeleton this year for Halloween and I think he even mentioned the Karate Kid bullies! He's on the shorter side so maybe OSFM will work in his favor...

    Your kids are darling and I LOVE your wife's shirt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Brooke left her comment before she got her DC fix this morning. ;)

    Go to eBay and search for "Cobra Kai Skeleton Costume". You'll see a bunch!

    What did Chuche end up being for Halloween? Thanks for the fun comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Brooke sounds crazy crabby in that post. I agree--no DC.

    Cobra Kai--hahahaha! I love when people know stupid 80's trivia like me. Most people look at me like I'm an alien when I talk about music and movies, and no one knows them. We had a Footloose party, and several people had NEVER SEEN THE ORIGINAL. How is that even possible??

    Ralph was a tiny man, as were the CK members--apparently. I have never seen a man go to such lengths for a costume. I have nothing but appreciation for this.

    Glad you had a fun and amazing Halloween. Moving on to November...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black compression spandex = Under Armor? Tyler wears it under his Flash unitard too. Spanx for men!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving all these pics of cute kids in cute costumes. You get extra points for dressing up AND getting your costume altered (just dont tell Brooke about the extra points ok?).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth--

    You're so nice for your compliments about our kids. The important thing was that they had a good time. Do you guys do trick-or-treating in Australia?

    Ashley--

    Very perceptive. Is Tyler's Under Armour the red stuff? The first time I put it on, I had that Spanx image in my mind! That's not why I wore it though!

    Mostess--

    I can't believe that there are people our age who have never seen the original Footloose. It's practically legend that it was filmed at the Lehi Roller Mills up by BYU. I still haven't seen the new version, but I'm sure I will at some point.

    Thanks for your kind words about the costume, but it's "Go Big or Go Home", right? I decided that if I was going to do it, I needed to do it right. I know you can appreciate that having seen the amount of work that you put into your Spooktacular display! :)

    ReplyDelete