Thursday, October 20, 2011

On Regret


One of my pet peeves is when people proudly declare that they have "no regrets."  I had a friend once who had made some poor choices.  She was suffering the natural consequences of those choices and it was painful.  And hard.  She knew it.  It was a difficult time for her as she struggled to process and adapt to the unhappy changes that those choices had brought to her life.

And yet she proudly told me that she did not regret any of her choices.  She told me that she needed to have made those choices and suffered what she was suffering to become the person she was.  I told her she was crazy.  And she was.  She would have been happier if she had made different choices.  And yet she clung stubbornly to her lack of expressed regret.

(I know it is trite to define a term and then give a discourse on it.  We've all done it for a Sacrament talk.  Probably when we had to speak in church as youth.  So with apologies...)

Regret is a feeling of sorrow or remorse for an action.  We should not allow ourselves to wallow in regret every time we make a mistake.  If we did this, we would quickly become depressed and lose all hope.  Not an "optimal outcome."

The scriptures, however, speak of a concept known as "godly sorrow."  President Ezra Taft Benson taught that godly sorrow can lead us to repentance.

President Benson elaborated: "Godly sorrow is a gift of the Spirit. It is a deep realization that our actions have offended our Father and our God. It is the sharp and keen awareness that our behavior caused the Savior, He who knew no sin, even the greatest of all, to endure agony and suffering. Our sins caused Him to bleed at every pore. This very real mental and spiritual anguish is what the scriptures refer to as having “a broken heart and a contrite spirit.” (See 3 Ne. 9:20Moro. 6:2D&C 20:37, 59:8Ps. 34:18;Ps. 51:17Isa. 57:15.) Such a spirit is the absolute prerequisite for true repentance."  ("A Mighty Change of Heart", First Presidency Message, Ensign, October 1989.)

I think what bugged me most about my friend's lack of regret was that it seemed like her attitude was preventing her from feeling godly sorrow and experiencing "this cool little thing called repentance."

I try to make decisions so that I can minimize any regrets in my life.  But I have plenty.  I regret certain choices that I have made, though I won't share them here.  These include regrets for things that I have done and things that I failed to do.  I am not a perfect person, but I'd like to think that I am trying.  And I am grateful for the gift of repentance to help me when I do make a mistake.

I haven't seen or talked to my friend for many years.  I hope she has overcome the consequences of the poor choices that she made.  I wonder if she still prides herself on having no regrets about any of her choices.  My sense is that if she truly has overcome those poor choices, it is because she has come to regret them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. How do you read my mind? I have been struggling with some serious regret lately about decisions I have made in the past. The problems is, I didn't make the wrong choice or sin, I just chose one path nstead of another and now I am seriously regretting it at this point in my life.

    This kind of regret isn't taking me anywhere good...like repentance. What do I do with this kind of regret? Amy advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, that Regret photo is funny and has totally happened to me.

    That aside, this post is really interesting. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter because I've never really stopped to think about this before. Regarding sin, I completely agree...Sometimes we may say "I don't regret my decisions" in order to make ourselves feel better. And "No Regrets" is sometimes an afterthought to "Seize the Day" when foolish mistakes are made on a quest to live in the moment, or live life to the fullest.

    When regret isn't in response to sin: Our thoughts and the emotions connected to them can be overwhelmingly powerful...It's hard to push those thoughts and feelings of regret aside, to move away from them. I saw this and wanted to share it, even though it is not quite the New Year.

    http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bd163ca6e9aa3210VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD&locale=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having feelings of regret is an important part of the human condition that sometimes comes with maturity.

    People who say they have NO regrets are either incredibly selfish or living in a river in Egypt.

    I have many regrets mainly from when I was in my early twenties... owning those regrets and learning (and growing as a person) from them makes me a better person today I reckon.

    PS I am still so stoked I can comment! I kept trying and trying with no luck (yet strangly you have a button at the end of each post that lets me reproduce your whole post on MY blog...) But still I couldnt comment!
    and of course have no idea what I did differently today.

    ReplyDelete