Saturday, October 29, 2011

I'm Lovin' It


Even though I'm new to the world of blogging, I've noticed that one of the classic blog posts is a "these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things" post (to quote The Sound of Music).  

"When the dog bites, when the bee stings...I simply remember my favorite things...."
A "Favorite Things" post gives a blogger a chance to share his or her favorite things with the blogosphere.  I thought about doing a "Best of Summer" post, but we're a little past that (not to mention its been done before), so you'll have to just bear with me.  This effort would probably be best defined as a post about some of my favorite things so far this year.

McDonald's McRib Sandwich is Back!

NOT!
Psike!  The McRib is NOT one of my favorite things.  I loved McDonalds as a kid.  When I was about 10 years old, I realized that I had tried everything on the menu (does anyone remember the fish sandwich?) except for the McRib.  We were on a trip and we stopped at the Golden Arches.  I begged my dad to order the McRib sandwich so that I could complete my quest.  He insisted I wouldn't like it.  I was determined.  He ordered it.  I don't think I was even able to gag down a single bite (but not for lack of trying!!).

To this day, I can barely look at one of those things.  Are there people out there who really like this???  I thought about leading the post with this picture, but then I realized that even I wouldn't want to read it if I did.

My dad has never let me forget this experience and it's been a running joke in our family.  In fact, he mentioned it and was giving me a hard time about it just yesterday!  Good times!

My daughter

I love this little girl more and more every day...(even though she says the funniest things to me!)

This first pic is from earlier this summer.  Pay no attention to the fact that she was still in her pajamas at this baseball game!  (Dad was in charge that day because mom was on a trip!)

Also, sometime in the past week or so, E. has picked up the adorable habit of adding the suffix "ee" to R.'s name.  It is so cute to hear her talk to him.  I love that they get along so well!

This weekend at S.'s soccer game...she loves to play catch!

I love this picture of E.
Costco

I would be loving it if I had this from Costco!  I must be getting old.  I actually caught myself thinking how nice it would be to have something like this to watch S.'s soccer game this weekend.
FYI...this is not our family!
Instead, I made do with this "old person" chair.  Only old people carry or use these chairs at soccer games, and yet, I proudly take it with me and cart it all over the place:


Southern California

These balloons take off from a field behind my parent's house...

As kids we used to love hearing the whoosh as these were filled up and took off.  What a beautiful Fall day for a balloon ride!

Up, Up, and Away!
Demotivational Posters

I came across this while working on my "On Regret" post about a week ago.  I'm a big fan of Star Wars and thought that this was a really funny poster!


Adele


And not just because she's British.  I'd love to see her in concert...



Yes, this song is all over the radio.  Yes, it's probably overplayed and overexposed.  Yes, I admit to having it on my iPod playlist (twice).  But I love the plaintive nature of her voice in this song.  And she sings it like she means it.

Here are a couple of her other good efforts that I've enjoyed this year (and yes, I'm aware that there are probably a billion people around the planet that love these three songs.  I don't care--this is my blog!):

I'd share one or two of my other favorites too, but frankly, it'd be too embarrassing!  (I apparently still do have a few shreds of dignity...)


Modern Technology and Communication


It's bringing the world closer!




Scout Camp and Swimming

In July/August, I got to go with our Young Men to Scout Camp.  Everyone had a great time, even the leaders.  This was after I finished the Mile Swim in Huntington Lake.  The water temp was about 59 degrees and I didn't have a wet suit.  Brrr!

Thanks Spils for being my spotter and making sure I didn't drown!

I was still pretty cold at this point...

Halloween 2011 and Triathlons in General

Percy Jackson and Princess Peach
Super Mario

Pumpkinman 2011 -- sometimes two great things are even better together!
Keepin' It Classy
"You stay classy, San Diego!"
Bottom Line: 2011 has been a pretty good year so far!   :)

12 comments:

  1. Don't hate me but I love the McRib. They brought it back last year for awhile and I got it regularly for a couple months.

    E is the cutest thing ever. I love the profile shot and her hair in a top knot.

    Sometimes I think we're soulmates...or at least we are both old before our time. I have been considering buying a open tent like that for soccer games because I can't stand the heat.

    I like Adele too and unfortunately she was just here in concert. I hadn't figured out how cool she was until after the concert.

    The swimming in the cold lake makes me think of the Seinfeld episode about shrinkage...classic.

    You are the bomb for dressing up for Pumpkinman in the obscene heat. I said it before...You don't do pumpkinman without a costume.

    Finally, Ron Burgundy is a very sexy man. I love the 'stache and I love the lines from the show. Thanks for introducing me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!

    It makes me feel better knowing you feel the way you do about the McRib. Your suggestion on Brooke's blog nearly had me yakking. But live and let live...if Brooke loves them, heaven help her. :)

    I LOVE Adele, and am shameless in bragging that my husband and I have loved her long before her Grammys and her songs went all crazy on the radio. I love that song Someone Like You. My all-time favorite is "Turn My Heart To Stone." She.is.amazing. She was just here in H-town but we couldn't go. Now there's regret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em--

    I'm glad you caught the joke on my comment on Brooke's blog. By "tasty" I really meant "nasty." Oh well...Nobody's perfect! :)

    I'm going to check out that Adele song you mentioned. I haven't heard it before, but I confess that I don't really listen to the radio a lot. I hope her voice recovers and she can re-do her American concert tour.

    Thanks again for your post re: Sara Bareilles. I was listening to that song again earlier today as I was packing up to leave the office. I appreciate the introduction.

    Hope you had a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have been in a spooky Halloween stupor when I told you the song is called "Turn My Heart to Stone," because the actual title is "Melt My Heart to Stone." It's on her first album, 19. "Right As Rain" is another fave from that album...really though, there is not one song of hers that I don't love.

    Glad you like S.B. She really is so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These posts are required by new bloggers. Glad you did one.

    I am anti-Mcd's in general because I used to be addicted. Blech. That McRib. I remember it being delicious, but I'm sure youth and bad taste cloud my memories.

    I had something similar when I was young--I had $2 to blow and insisted that my parents let me go in this trailer at a carnival. It boasted huge snakes, a 2 headed woman, etc. My imagination ran wild...until I got in there. It was a 2 headed mannequin and a small garden snake in a tank. Worst purchase ever!! It was my McRib.

    Who doesn't love Costco?? If that makes me old, then I'm cool with that. That shade looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatevs, the Mostess is totally not anti-McD. I've seen her go to town there in the playplace no less.

    I have actually been considering the McRib, but based on your advise I will not partake.

    I don't know how you ran in that full-length skeleton get-up. Most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow how did I miss this post?
    I am not a big bovine eater but even if I was I think the McRib looks gross.
    I would love one of those tents for the beach, pity Oz has only 1 Costco and its 3 States away from me.
    Have you seen Adele being interviewed? She is such a "real" girl no celebrity crapola about her at all.
    Are you sure E isnt an Aussie? We put "ee" on the end of everything. Uni, Tradie and Aunty being just three words that come to mind.
    And lastly I will wrap this novel up by saying I envy you your technology ... we live in a town that is almost still on dial up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em--

    I still think the S.B. song you posted is my favorite, but I need to listen to Right as Rain. Love song is another good one.

    Mostess--

    Thanks for saving me $2! I owe you because I almost ducked into a display like that at the fair this year. Now I can totally picture it and my curiousity has been satisfied.

    Maybe the McRib is good. People seem to be really excited about it. If you try it, feel free to post a comment reviewing it! :)

    Ashley--

    I'm not sure how I did either. After wearing it the other night to the trunk or treat, I was hot even at night. I'm really not sure what I was thinking wearing it during the race. I probably wasn't really thinking. It was like 94 degrees that day.

    I think somehow I got goaded into it. My brother was supposed to run it with me, but bailed at the last minute. I even had an extra set of Spanx--err, Spandex for him.

    Elizabeth--

    Amazon has the same tent and it looks like it will ship to OZ...

    http://www.amazon.com/Lightspeed-Tents-26795-BV-Quick-Cabana/dp/B005LGV2PA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320307597&sr=8-6

    Maybe E is an Aussie. BTW, you forgot one of our favorite "ee" words here in the States..."Barbee". As in "I'll put another shrimp on the barbee." :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth--

    Check out this site:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596190

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greg, Wanna know a secret? NO ONE in Oz says Shrimp! We call them prawns. lol.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's pretty funny, but someone obviously forgot to tell Paul Hogan that. It's probably the most famous Ozzie quote here in the States....

    Does anyone remember this commercial? Good stuff!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_CPrCS8gs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew about shrimp/prawns?! So glad we have Elizabeth to educate us all.

    I don't remember that commercial, but whenever I think of famous "aussie quotes" I always think of this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCTZF61ey0

    ReplyDelete