Friday, June 15, 2012

Camp Pendleton's World Famous Mud Run

The Camp Pendleton World Famous Mud Run
I'm "running" in Camp Pendleton's World Famous Mud Run tomorrow.  I put "running" in quotes because in addition to running (including up and down hills), I will be dodging blasts of water from fire hoses, fording streams, wading through mud holes, swimming across a lake, crawling through obstacles, and getting very, very muddy.

This part comes at the very beginning of the race...
....the fun is only getting started
Last year, I "trained" for the race by getting no sleep for about the entire two weeks before the race and "carbo loading" by going to Golden Spoon for a frozen yogurt the night before.  Yep, I literally skipped dinner and had a frozen yogurt the night before the race.  Little wonder that I pretty much bonked the next day.

But forgetting to train and not getting a lot of sleep are pretty much par for the course with me, so I can hardly complain that my time was so crappy.  My time (1:09:29 for the 10k course) was terrible.  I only post it here so that you know that I am not exaggerating.  My brother L. (a gifted runner if I've ever seen one) clocked a 58:01; S. was 1:01.  I swear I will be faster this year!  (even though I still haven't trained!!)
I don't know anyone in this picture.
But I did manage to do a few things right and a few things that I'll learn from.  Here are some tips if you're considering doing a mud run in your area (even though it probably won't be the Original, World Famous Mud Run at Camp Pendleton!).

  • Sign up early.  Camp Pendleton's races sell out in the first few hour after they go live.  If you are checking up on me, you won't see my time (or my brothers' times) on the official web site because we bought someone else's run bib.  Technically against the rules, but still an option if you miss out on the registration.  This year, I have my own bib so you can see how bad my time really is this year!
  • You will get muddy.  They have showers that you can use after the race.  Plan on spending about 5-10 minutes in the cold shower getting mud out of every crack and crevice of your shoes and clothes.  Don't wear something with pockets.  They'll just fill up with mud.  Last year, I bought matching shirts for Team "D".  They were pretty fitted and worked out great.  I made the mistake of buying some moisture wicking shorts that were a bit baggy.  Bad call.  They were pretty much falling off of my booty the whole race.  Nothing is more embarrassing than having to cross the finish line with one hand holding up your waist band!  My brothers were wiser than me and wore swim trunks.  This year, I will prove to be the wisest among us because I'll be wearing running tights!
  • Nutrition.  I will eat a good dinner tonight and my typical PB Bagel tomorrow morning before the race.  No more Fro-Yo this year.
  • Get Some Sleep.  I think I spent the few days before last year's race jetting off to Florida where I took about four depositions in two days, including working all night on my laptop during the red eye flight.  I remember actually falling asleep in the car as the client drove us back following the first day's worth of depositions.  The client loved me for working so hard for him.  My body rebelled when it came time for race day.   So you'd think I learned my lesson for this year right?  Wrong!  I had to pull another all-nighter last night on a project.  I have a really good friend that always gives me crap about my sleep habits.  According to my friend, the most important sleep before a race is the sleep you get two nights before the race.  I got no sleep last night.  Awesome!
  • Pace Yourself.  I started off strong last year, only to wilt on the hills and dales of the military base.  Nothing is more humiliating than having two brothers smoke you as they leave you in their rear view mirror. L., who had such a great time, actually started off behind both S. and me, but just kept it going the whole time--ultimately passing us both.  On the other hand, nothing made me prouder than to cheer both of them on as they passed me. I really am lucky to have such great brothers!
  • Have Fun.  The most important point of all!  I'm set to do the race with 3 of my 4 brothers tomorrow (not sure if any of my sisters are doing it??)  SL didn't do it last year because he was in Florida on a mission, but he was a high school cross country star.  If I'm not careful, I'm likely to find myself cheering on three brothers as they pass me tomorrow!  ;-)
This is after the post-race showe...ignore the tan lines and soggy, saggy, baggy shorts...
...I'm proud to be standing amongst literal and figurative giants of men!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like crazy fun! Good Luck (although you have probs run it by now). The best bit is you are doing it with your bros.

    ReplyDelete