Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mud Run 2012

The Fearsome Foursome: S., L., Yours Truly, and S.L. (from L --> R)
This morning, my brothers and I did the Camp Pendleton Mud Run.  It was the second year in a row for L. and me.  S. has done it about four times.  S.L. is back after taking a hiatus to serve a mission in Florida.
Pre-Race--Waiting for my brothers to show...
I swear that the race this year started about a quarter mile further back.  S. disagrees.  Like legendary Anchorman Ron Burgundy, S. and I will have to "agree to disagree then" about this point.  The race was a free-for-all at the beginning.  It was all I could do to not run people over.  I'm always amazed by how many slow people will want to cram to the front near the start line and then proceed to run at a leisurely pace!
A view of the course--if you look closely you can see runners coming into
the finish line in the lower right hand corner
S. and S.L. jumped out to a quick start while L. and I got boxed out.  I managed to catch up to S.L. after about a half a mile and we ran the next mile or mile and a half together.  Then S.L. zoomed ahead and passed S.  Except for a brief moment where we passed each other going in separate directions at the (recently dried up) lake, I wouldn't see S.L. again until I crossed the finish line.  He would go on to post an amazing time of 54:18--good for 4th place in his age group and 61st overall!!!  Great work S.L.!
S.L.
Meanwhile, I struggled on.  I kept S. in my sights and stayed about 20 yards back for the first half of the race.  I didn't want to expend the energy to catch up to him--instead I thought that I would be able to reel him in eventually.  I wasn't.  S. went on to post a time of 1:02:41.  Good for 29th out of 238 in our age group (220th overall).
S., Me, and L.
Meanwhile, L. was nowhere to be seen.  I would later learn that he had to make a quick pit stop in the Biffy's at Mile 2.  L. finally overtook me at Mile 4.  We hit that milestone in 34 minutes and I was feeling pretty good about things and happy with that time.  I thought I had an outside chance of breaking 60 minutes which is my ultimate goal for this race.  He took 20th in his age group and 165th overall out of more than 2,700 participants!
Gratuitous Shot of L.

Just past Mile 4, we hit a huge, huge downhill stretch.  Both L. and I decided to stride out and let gravity and our long legs give us an advantage going downhill.  I felt like I was flying, but L. was even faster.  He has an extra 3 inch advantage (for each leg) over me and put that to good use.  I wanted to yell out for him to be careful, but fortunately neither one of us missed a step.  L, however, was gone.  He went on to finish in 59:58!  Just barely clearing the 60 minute mark for his second straight year.

As you've probably guessed by now, I motored on but ultimately brought up the rear for our quartet.  I was happy with my race, however.  I was much stronger than last year.  I didn't bonk and it was great to feel and see improvement in my time.  I posted a time of 1:04:22--over five minutes faster than last year!  I was 35th in my age group and 270th overall.

I think I had forgotten how hard this race actually is.  The first half of the race has several long, steep uphill climbs, with little down hill.  Then just after Mile 4, you have a steep, steep downhill leg and you hit the real obstacles in earnest.  Two mudpits with a wall that you had to scale in between in this last 2 mile stretch.  Then you have the tunnel that you have to go through on hands and knees.  Everyone's knees got scraped up doing that obstacle.  Don't forget the lake.  Except this year, instead of being chest high, it was about an inch high!

The coup-de-grace of the race is the "Slippery Mountain."  It's a super steep hill about 100 yards long.  The marines sit at the top with fire hoses and just blast everyone coming up.  Water is running down the hill and there was one point in time where I could not move at all.  I  thought for an instant that I would be slipping all the way back down the hill.  It was almost unnerving thinking that I was going backwards back down the mountain!!

Then you run back down the backside of Slippery Mountain, turn the corner, and have one final mudpit to navigate.  This one, however, requires you to get down and crawl through.  I ended up "walking" on my hands and swim kicking with my legs.  I thought I was passing people--only to have some wanna-be Marine drill sergeant get in my grill and tell me how slow and pathetic I was at the progress I was making.  I think he was just trying to motivate me???

I felt liberated as I hit the home stretch.  There were crowds cheering and banners and balloons.  I could hear music from the festival area.  The last "obstacle" was big muddle puddle about 40 yards in front of the finish line.  I could see other people slowing down and trying to go around it.  I said "Screw that!" and sped up and bombed right through the middle of it!  I was wet and muddy enough that one little puddle was not going to slow me down!

I hit the finish line and started looking for my brothers.  I usually judge my effort in a race by whether I feel like puking when I'm done.  If I want to puke, I figure I ran hard enough and put a good effort in.  If I don't, I know I "saved too much for the way back."  I'm proud to report that I felt like puking in the finish chute.  I didn't puke, but I wanted to!

This was another great event put on by Camp Pendleton.  I really feel lucky for a couple reasons.  First, to be able to have such a great event practically in my back yard.  Secondly (and more importantly), to be able to do this race with 3 of my 4 brothers.  Next year, maybe we'll be able to convince N. (my youngest brother who is currently on a mission in South America) and maybe a few more family members to do it!

And to my brothers, great job!  It was so fun to do this race with you!  Go Team!


3 comments:

  1. Great recap. I love all the pics especially the ones with your brothers. Congrats to all on really good times too. You all look so spent but so happy.
    PS On a very juvenile note "bonk" in Ozland means ummm something else :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this re-cap! thanks for all the details! wish i could have been cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. Are. All. Crazy.

    The only thing I want to do that makes me pukey is overeating nachos.

    Kudos to all of you. That sounds...challenging.

    ReplyDelete