Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Eve

San Clemente Sunset
If you think of the summer as being June, July, and August, today marked the midpoint of the summer.  We walked out of a youth fireside tonight to see this scene from the parking lot of the Stake Center.  This does a fairly decent job of capturing the beauty as we enjoyed the view of Dana Point Harbor in the distance.

I couldn't help but think that as the rest of the country is melting in an unprecedented summer heat wave, we are so blessed to have moderate temperatures, cool breezes, and these types of views.
Andy Reid, Head Coach of the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles
The speaker was Andy Reid one of the most successful head football coaches in the NFL.  His wife Tammy spoke with him and I was struck by what a dynamic, strong marriage the Reids had.  They have been married for 31 years and I loved how Coach Reid referred to himself as the "Head Coach" and to his wife as the "Head Coach of the Head Coach."

It was a really great fireside--funny, interesting, and spiritual.  Coach Reid and his wife even took questions (on any topic) from the audience for at least 45 minutes.  They were so gracious.  I had a couple of questions that I wanted to ask him, but I held off so that the youth would have plenty of chances.

I got a chance to thank both Coach Reid and his wife afterward and remind them that their daughter and my brother had served in the same mission in Florida.  Coach Reid posed for a few pictures and even let people try on his Super Bowl Ring (from the Green Bay Packers).  I may regret not having my picture taken, but if I do, it's only because I felt weird asking for a picture after a fireside while we were on the stand in the chapel.

Coach Reid and Sister Reid, in the unlikely event that you ever read my blog, thank you so much for coming to speak to us tonight!


1 comment:

  1. Mentors who give back rock!!! I loved this post (and the gorgeous pic) and for me its so timely. Riley met his career mentor last night and the wealth of information and generousity of spirit makes me so grateful.
    Enjoy your Summer nights.

    ReplyDelete