Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Independence Day

This was my view two years ago today...
Two years ago today, I stood on the edge of this pool and stared down the lane.  I was not a good swimmer, but my brother had challenged me about four months before to do a triathlon with him at Camp Pendleton.  I debated within my own head for months about whether I should (or even could) do the triathlon.  I had always wanted to do a triathlon, but since I didn't know how to swim very well, I wasn't sure that I could do it.

The Camp Pendleton triathlon was a 500 yard ocean swim that had a time cut-off of for the swim portion of 30 minutes.  Deep down, I wasn't sure that I could handle the indignity of starting the race and not being able to finish because I got pulled from the ocean by some life guard.  I knew that if I were to have any chance at doing the triathlon, I needed to get better at swimming.  And fast!  There was only one month to go until the triathlon and it was put up or shut up time.

So on that Independence Day 2010, I made the decision to jump in and start swimming.  My swim workouts were only 500 yards in the pool, but they were tough for me.  The first few days, I took me more than 15 minutes to swim the 500 yards.  In addition, I wasn't able to do the freestyle for the full distance.  I was only able to do 300 yards or so before I had to flip over and do the rest with the back stroke.  Pathetic, I know!

But I kept at it and kept swimming.  I didn't swim on Sundays, but I was probably in that pool for at least 20 days in the month of July 2010.  And I got better.  =o)
Pioneer Day 2010 -- I'm sure E. thinks I look pretty funny!
Then, on July 24, 2010, I did a mini triathlon that our Stake put on in honor of Pioneer Day.  I set a new record for myself in the 500 yards in the pool (11:56).  I'm not trying to kid myself or you that that was fast or even a good time.  It wasn't, but it felt good to see improvement and to feel better about myself.

I went on to do my first "real" triathlon at Camp Pendleton in August--one month after my fateful Independence Day decision.  It was hard, but I completed the swim in time (without drowning) and finished the triathlon.  And then I kept on doing triathlons.
2010 Camp Pendleton Triathlon
I promise I didn't die, even though it looks like I'm about to during the run portion here!
A lot has changed in the past two years.  We have a new house and a new baby.  I've made new friends and  gotten to know others better.  I've lost some things as well, including about 20 pounds and my fear of swimming (if I could survive the swim from the Ironman St. George, I can survive anything!).  I'm in a lot better shape and I feel a lot better about myself in a lot of ways.


In short, even though life isn't perfect and I'm still far from it (perfection that is...), I feel like things are better.  And they are going to continue to get better.  I believe that.  I can trace a lot of those positive changes in my life to that moment, two years ago today, when I stood on that pool deck and thought about jumping in.  I'm so glad I decided to take the plunge!


So Happy 4th of July everybody!  I hope you and your families enjoy "your" Independence Day!


4 comments:

  1. So proud of you Greg! I am most scared of the swim too... you were a way better swimmer than me at your worst than I can ever hope for at my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best greg! and such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Independence Day to you too!! I never guessed we'd enjoy so many races together, that I'd see you beat me, or that on a half ironman we'd cross the finish line at the exact same time. It's sure been a fun ride and I never would have come this far without you doing the races next to me! Here's to many more great races together and with our family and friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, and I especially you acknowledge you are getting better. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete