Thursday, December 15, 2011

Back Handed Compliment

Perry Mason
I was in court the other day and I was handling the direct examination of my client.

Direct examinations are mostly about having the friendly witness tell his or her story to the judge and the jury.  In a good direct examination, the attorney is pretty much invisible and everyone is watching the witness.

I had a good rapport with my client and my client really did an outstanding job of explaining the story of the case to the jury.  When it was over, both my client and I were happy that he had had a chance to tell his story and we felt like the jurors had listened attentively and were impressed.

My client and I left the courtroom, but my colleague stayed behind to get ready for the next witness.  The opposing counsel came over to my colleague and said, "How long has that attorney (i.e. me) been with your firm?"

My colleague said that I had been with the firm for three years.

Opposing counsel was apparently impressed and said, "Well, you tell him that he really did a heckuva job with that witness for a third-year lawyer!"

My colleague chuckled when he told me the story because I have actually been practicing law for 10 years now!  (I came to my current firm three years ago.)

I took it as a compliment because maybe the opposing counsel thinks I still look young?  Too young to get a little respect from this other attorney, I suppose.  (Let's just say that I'm a lot younger than he is...)
"I don't get no respect!"
Bytheway, my colleague was kind enough to say that I did a great job on my direct examination.  And he's my boss, so if the boss is happy and the client is happy, I'll take it!  :)

The jury is still out on the case, but let's just hope they agree as well!

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was there to pat you on the back but I can see you are take g care of that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait till Brooke leaves a "damn iPad" comment on my blog! Can't.wait. Love those.

    Congrats on the successful direct examination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, it's too bad those fancy iPads don't have a spell check function! ;)

    And all the credit for the direct goes solely to my client. I just stayed out of the way and let him tell his story.

    Em, if you work really, really hard, concentrate, focus, and make the necessary sacrifices, I'm sure you too will be rewarded with a "damn iPad" comment on your blog. Now I can cross one more thing off of my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete