Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Back to Back

My kids like to watch a teeny-bopper tv show called "Victorious" on Nickelodeon sometimes. The show will occasionally pop up a graphic that uses an emoticon to display the status or mood of the main characters.

If I had to display an emoticon to display my mood right now, this would be it:
Yes, I'm stressed. And one of the main reasons is because I'm trying to do Christmas shopping for my office.  Luckily, no one in my office reads this page, so I'm okay discussing this topic here.
[Not that anyone does regularly read this page anyway.  I used to say that I had five regular readers and I think I've officially lost a few since then!  If you are reading this page then it's highly likely that one of the following two things are true about you: (1) you googled "Uncle Eddie" and came to my blog looking for my post that had a picture of Dennis Quaid from Christmas Vacation; or (2) you're most likely related to me and/or your name probably starts with with the letter "E."   But I digress...]
'Tis the Season!
I like to think that I am good at giving gifts.  But gifting for the office is incredibly stressful.  First, there are quite a few people and so you want to get them something that they will actually like, but you also want to make sure that you don't overdo it.

One of the things that I think is key to giving a good gift is knowing what the person really likes, but sometimes, especially with people that you work with, you may know them really well in the office, but you don't necessarily know what they like to do outside the office.

It's not like you can say to your secretary, "Marge, you've been great this year, and I've really noticed how much that stapler bothers you that every once in a while, it will jam.  I know you've had your eye on a brand new one, so I took the liberty get you something really, really nice...Merry Christmas!"
And then they open it, and their reaction is: "Oh.  Great.  A stapler.  Just what I always wanted."

Even if they love the movie "Office Space" and even if they really need a new stapler, it's just not the type of gift that is going to excite someone for Christmas or that really shows how much you appreciate their hard work and loyalty over the past year.

Anyway, I went to Costco today thinking that I could snag some cool gift cards for my "Office Mates" but I'm just not feeling the inspiration.  I'll keep thinking on it...still another 12 days until Christmas, so no pressure!

If any of you have any great ideas for something to get a co-worker (especially my secretary executive assistant), please feel free to let me know!

8 comments:

  1. Okay, now that's just creepy, your number 2 of the people who read your blog. I felt like I was reading my fortune for a second there. ...Wait...are you and Brooke related? Or did she google Uncle Eddie? :)

    I think you are a good person for buying nice gifts for office mates. Most people just resort to taking in goodies their wives make. Truly, nothing says "I care" like a gift from Costco.

    Speaking as a former executive assistant--don't insult me with the word secretary as we are so much more than that--including a few years spent assisting a lawyer, there is nothing I would have loved more than an impersonal gift card (or a big bonus check!). Our firm's Christmas party used to have an upscale white elephant game that usually ended in a brawl over the gift cards.

    A card to a nice restaurant (assuming you know his/her taste in food), movie tickets, or an iTunes card are great, appropriate gifts in my opinion.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad Em acknowledged that I am your #1 reader. I agree...I think you cam't go wrong with a restaurant gift card,, store gift card etc. Women love spa gift certificates too. I like that for Marilyn because it says "you deserve to relax and get pampered because you work so hard!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em...as far as my readers go, there is my sister Emily, Elizabeth, you...and that's about it for the letter "E" (and sadly for my non-Uncle Eddie readers).

    Brooke needs no encouragement. I think if you asked her, she'd cheerfully "fess up" to being the #1 reader on any blog that she reads. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM JUST HAPPY TO BE READING ALL THESE POSTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just reread Em's comment and realized that she wasn't calling me your #1 reader but was asking which category I fall into. Oh well, you and I both know I AM your #1 reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greg, I totally read your blog, that makes six now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so late to this party ... but I think candles or bath gels are great for small gifts and gift vouchers or itunes are good if you have to spend more. We had our work Christmas party last night (David got home at 6.30am this morning ... probably wont blog about that!) and I got a candle from America(Yankee Candle - Beach walk) for my present... maybe the buyer knows I am obsessed with the Outer Banks!

    ReplyDelete