Sunday, December 18, 2011

Back to the Books

Whose arms are those?  That mystery remained unanswered after reading the book...
I recently finished reading the book the most recent book from off my reading list.  It was "Bossypants" by Tina Fey.

As I mentioned on in my previous post, I chose the book because it got some good reviews on a couple of random blogs that I had visited.  Ironically, I got a lot of comments recommending "Bossypants", so I'm glad that I had it on my reading list.

I really enjoyed Bossypants.  There was some vulgarity and some parts were less interesting than others, but I like Tina Fey's brand of humor.  I think I was vaguely aware that she had a tv show ("30 Rock").  I've still never seen it, but I think I may actually want to watch an episode or two after reading the book.

I think my favorite chapter may have been "Dear Internet."  Tina Fey's jujitsu-like ability to take on the snarky email comments and turn them back on her would-be taunters is pure comedy gold.

File:JUJITSU (AND RIFLES) in an agricultural school.jpg
Jujitsu is the art of using your opponent's force against himself or herself.
The "Secrets of Mommy's Beauty" chapter was very funny as well.  I'm not sure whether I found it so humorous in spite of or because of the fact that I'm a guy.  But I think that anyone can appreciate this type of wit:
The only flawless thing about this picture is Sharon Stone's forehead...Not a wrinkle in sight! 
"...'Your skin is so flawless.  What's your secret?' people always ask Sharon Stone.  Like my peer Sharon Stone, I have always felt that the simplest products are the best.  Sharon credits her good skin to Pond's cold cream (and maybe a little bit of nature's own botulism.  Wink!)..."
The People's Choice
I'm also proud to say that I've already started reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  I think everyone that commented made an actual recommendation in the comments recommended "Bossypants" and/or "The Help"--usually both, so my expectations are high.  I haven't seen the movie yet...I'm going to wait until I finish the book before I add the DVD to my Netflix list.

I'm on Chapter 3 so far.  I like it, but it took a little bit to get used to the colloquial dialogue.  Also, it appears as though Chapter 3 switches to Minny's point of view from Aibileen's, so that threw me for a second because I had just felt like I was getting used to Aibileen's narration style.

Anyway, I'll be sure to let you know what I think...and thanks for your recommendation!

UPDATE:  Kaari didn't make an actual recommendation, but stated that she was going to read the Steve Jobs and Keith Richards' bios over Christmas break.  Kaari, I await your recommendation as to whether those two tomes are "list-worthy."

7 comments:

  1. Um...these aren't my recommendations. You are hereby removed from the cookie judging pool.

    And you only vaguely know she's on a show called 30 Rock?? Greg, this pains me. I once stated on my blog that if you watch 30 Rock with me, and only laugh a few times, that we probably won't be friends. Please take note about how many times you laugh when you watch. This will determine our blog future.

    Tread lightly, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaari, my bad. I regret the error and have issued a retraction and a correction. See above.

    I'm hurt by your comment, however, not just because I have been removed from the cookie judging pool, but also that I wasn't even actually invited to this year's event. I guess the good news is that I have almost a year to try and redeem myself and "earn" an invitation.

    Finally, I find myself watching less and less television these days. You can't expect me to memorize ever detail from your blog--as entertaining as it may be. Particularly when your entries about 30 Rock pre-date our blog friendship.

    You ought to be proud that your recommendation makes me even more likely to watch.

    (And given that you are such a huge 30 Rock fan, are you saying that you would NOT recommend Bossypants? If true, that seems counter-intuitive somehow...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turns out to be the truth. I clearly forgot that I didn't "recommend" the bios per se. I stand corrected. I will see you at my house on December 2nd to judge those cookies!

    I love-love-love Tina Fey and 30 Rock. I really don't watch that much TV either, but I definitely have my shows, and this is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get tired of people talking about Steve jobs like he is some kind of saviour for our generation but I have heard his biography is really good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Em, not Chuche: Ditto to what Brooke said. I'd never even heard of Steve Jobs until he died. That sounds horrible, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke and Em....this is blasphemy in Silicon Valley. He really was the greatest inventor/genius of our generation. In fact, Brookie-Brook, you wouldn't be typing that on your iPad without Mr. Jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke, Steve Jobs was born in 1955 and was a baby boomer. I guess you must be a little older than I thought you were.

    Kaari, I think he is a complicated man. While he was a tech genius, I'm troubled by some of the things I've heard about his personal life. Perhaps he realized his mistakes and changed over time. I hope so...

    PS--I've never owned an Apple computer and I only recently got an iPod. I am still desperately clinging to my work-issued Blackberry and my cell phone doesn't even have a camera. Yes, I know that makes me a dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete