Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Little Light Reading

I love to read.  It's one of the things that I've always loved to do.  I find that it helps to relax me and actually helps me to think better.  A good page-turner really engages my mind and draws me in.

I recently finished the last book from my "summer" reading list:
This is the "bulk" of my reading material since about May...

Let's face it, I'm not claiming that any of these are Pulitzer material.  And they were all fiction from basically the same genre, but I thought that they were fun to read and I enjoyed them.

I finished the last one over the Thanksgiving Break.  I have a few other books queued up, but I really wasn't sure which one I wanted to tackle next.
My current "project"...
I always take the dust jacket off when I read a book because
I hate it when the dust jacket gets messed up.
I ended up selecting a book that was given to me loaned to me recommended to me given a good review by a friend colleague acquaintance fellow reader (who shall remain anonymous).

It is different from my past reads.  It is non-fiction and a lot shorter than most of the other books on my summer list.  Also, I heard that it was funny.  But I really wasn't sure what to expect when I cracked it open.

I have to admit, it was a tough slog when I first opened it.  I pushed through only to find out that one of the collection of "humorous" anecdotes is about a lovable character whose last name might be Mr. No-Short-Term-Memory.  Mr. NSTM loves to remind people (every time he sees them since he has issues with his short-term memory) to think of him and always wear their helmet when they ride a bike.  

Tragically, Mr. NSTM didn't do that and suffered a head injury.  Then he lost his job, his family, and basically everything he had in his life--only to wind up living in a rented room at the local YMCA.  And I thought this book was supposed to be funny!

Did I mention that Mr. NSTM and I share the same name?  I promise that I always remember to wear my helmet when I ride my bike!  Lesson learned.

Anyway, I'm still not even halfway through the book, but I'll be sure to give it a shout out if it ends up being as good as advertised.

When I think about funny stories about reading, this short clip from Zoolander comes to mind.  This is a great movie--very funny!


If anyone has read any good books lately, please let me know...I'm going to need some new material here pretty soon!

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry..that deleted one was from me...damn Autocorrect!

    Zoolander should have won an Oscar.

    I recommend Bossypants by Tina Fey..wanna borrow it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke--

    I've heard really good things about that book...I'll let you know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading a lot of fluff lately, and mostly chick lit at that--so I don't think you'd be interested.

    However, two non-fiction that I loved were "Unbroken" and "Seabiscuit," both by Laura Hillenbrand. I'll read anything by her. Neither book feels like a heavy read b/c she's such a captivating writer.

    My husband and I also read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and we both really enjoyed it.

    I have no idea what book you are referring to with Mr. NSTM. No idea. But it sounds bad.

    I also recommend Bossypants, too. Warning though--there are some parts that are definitely directed to a female audience, but it's all enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em--

    I seem to be hearing a lot about Bossypants these days...it may be worth looking into...Did Chuche read Bossypants too?

    Did you see the movie "The Help"? Which is better, the book or the movie? (I know, usually that's a silly question.) I haven't seen/read either, but I think I may add one or both to my lists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not pay Chuche to read Bossypants. It's just not his style, really. I could probably lure him in by reading some of it to him, but it's a long shot.

    We haven't seen "The Help" yet. Friends have told me it is a very decent adaptation of the book. From what I read, the author and the director worked closely together on adapting it, so it's as close as it gets as far as a book-to-movie goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books too! I like biographies and crime stories. There is an Australia author Caroline Overington who writes great drama books.
    I adored The Help book (much more than the movie).
    I didnt really get into Bossypants but I know lots of peeps who thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Help and couldn't put it down, Ashley and Tyler both read Bossypants and loved it...warning..there are some F bombs dropped and she can be a bit crude at times. I love the chapter on her dad, Don Fey. It reminded me sooo much of my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The People have spoken!

    I just ordered the print version of The Help. The DVD doesn't come out until December 6th, so I'm sure that I'll read the book first and I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for the recommendations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, The Help. Everyone keeps talking about this book and movie, which makes me leery.

    We got the Steve Jobs bio and the Keith Richards bio recently. I take a peek at them over Lance's shoulder since I have no time to read. But I will try and read both over Christmas.

    I'm with you, though--I love reading. It inspires me to write, which I need to do more.

    I also pull of the jacket. My thoughts on book jackets would be amazing material for Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kaari--

    I think you should do a post on dust jackets. I'd love to read it. My current book is a bio too, but I don't know how excited I am to read about Steve Jobs or Keith Richards. You'll have to let me know if they're any good.

    ReplyDelete