Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Drought Is Over!

I do not <3 droughts, especially when they are en mi casa!
I'm proud to announce that as of approximately 11:30 a.m. yesterday, the water was back on at our house!  Hallelujah!

If you remember nothing else from this post, here are two very important life lessons that I learned from the recent water outage in our house:

#1 - Check Your Warranty!

Remember how I said that our house was only four years old?  Well, a friend of mine reminded me that new homes in California are basically under warranty for ten years.

What does this mean?
Scott the Plumber hard at work...and The Price Was Right!
It means that one (1) strategically placed call to my builder + one (1) more call to the original plumber = the pipe was fixed under warranty.

Total out of pocket cost:  Zero, zilch, nada, gratis, FREE!

So, when you have a warranty, 1 + 1 = $0

The builder (Standard Pacific) and the plumber are even sending someone out tomorrow to re-pour the concrete pad that I had to have demo'd.  I love good customer service!!!

(and I'm a little embarrasssed I didn't think of this sooner)

#2 - There's Always a Workaround

Remember how I said that I would have run my neighbor's hose into my kitchen if I could have?  Turns out I didn't even need to go to that much trouble.

I did not know this, but Scott the Plumber told me that if you shut off the valve to the house, you can run a hose from his outdoor spigot to your home's outdoor spigot and you will have water in your house.  Maybe it won't be as strong as your normal pressure, but it will work.

I'm excited to try this next time someone I know (because this better not happen to me ever again!) has a pipe break.

#3 - Yesterday Morning -- A Photo Essay
Mark and Gabriel showed up promptly at 7 a.m.
They didn't waste any time getting to work.
Jackhammer?  We don't need no stinkin' jackhammer!
The hole wasn't hard to spot once we got rid of the concrete.
Someone did a lazy repair job during construction.
It's not supposed to look like this...
Much Better!!
This is pretty much what the driveway looks like now...
...minus the plumber of course!
Yes, still not complete, but did I mention that we have water??


4 comments: