Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving 2011


Our family celebrated Thanksgiving Day this morning by participating in the 34th Annual Dana Point Turkey Trot.  Thanksgiving morning runs have become a tradition in our country.  It seems like most communities have at least one.  We had a lot of fun today, so I thought I'd give you five tips for ensuring a fun, traditional Thanksgiving morning Turkey Trot.

I know, most of us are still in a tryptophan-induced haze following dinner at this point.  But don't worry, this is not the type of blog that actually gives real advice or tries to tell you what to do.  Nor will I give you any boring, "tried and true" tips like: "warm up and cool down properly"; "eat a good breakfast"; "run at a good comfortable pace without overdoing it"; "make sure to stretch out"; or "get a good training schedule."  The truth is, I don't do any of that, so why would I advocate that anyone else do so.

And all of that is really just common sense anyway.  So don't worry about taking any notes or remembering anything from this post.  This post is mostly just an excuse to throw up some cute pics of the kids.  :)

#1 - Early Bird Registration is Key
Team Dyer
Usually you can save a few bucks if you pre-register.  Plus it will save you some time on race day when you don't have to track down your timing chip, race bib, and cheap t-shirt that you'll probably promptly donate to Goodwill.

I saw the line this morning of people trying to do same day registration and I wouldn't want to wait in that.  If you miss the online registration like I did, it's much better to go sign up about a minute or two before the race officials shut down the packet pick-up.  If they give you a hard time like they did to me, look at your watch and let them know that it's still not closing time and tell them that you had a long drive to make it there.  I only had to wait for about 5 minutes, rather than 45 if I'd had to come back this morning to do it.

#2 - Nupe It!



Years ago, there used to be all sorts of commercials for this little yellow pill called Nuprin.  I have no idea what happened to Nuprin.  While Nuprin may be gone, we still have ibuprofen which is the generic version of Nuprin.

I woke up Tuesday morning and couldn't get out of bed because I was having some intense back spasms.  I was pretty sure that I was not going to be able to run in the race.  That was before i started on ibuprofen.  Thanks to what was probably illegal amounts of ibuprofen and a very therapeutic session at Massage Heights, I showed dramatic improvement and was able to run this morning.

In my opinion, ibuprofen is a wonder drug.  Every home should have it as a staple of its medicine cabinet.

#3 - Don't try to Break In a New Pair of Shoes on Race Day

As you may know, I did the St. George Marathon about two months ago.  I decided to get some new shoes before the race.  Then I was smart enough not to wear them.

My last race before today was the Pumpkinman Triathlon about six weeks ago.  I've been running exactly once since then.  I thought that since I had had my "new" shoes for two months, they'd be broken in enough to wear today.  Bad move.

For some reason, I signed up for both the 10k Race and the 5k Race.  Then I ran the Kids 1 Mile Fun Run with R. and S.  Total mileage on the day: 10.3 miles.
The 10k "Team" From the SC 6th Ward!
The 10k Race was first.  By the time I hit the finish line, I had developed a hot spot on my foot.  It was a full on blister by the time I started the 5k Race 45 minutes later.  Let's just say that every step of the 5k was...unpleasant.
The boys were excited for the Fun Run!
Then the Fun Run may have been the worst, even though it was only 1 mile.  I could hardly keep up with the boys!
Let's just say that the boys were way more excited to start the fun run
than I was.  Check out S.'s "high knees" on the right!
Anyway, I learned my lesson and will have my shoes well broken in before my next race!


#4 - Avoid the Crowds When the Gun Goes Off


Last year when the gun went off, I was still walking to the finish line.  I spent the first mile dodging strollers and walkers en route to a pretty miserable time.  (No, I won't share it...I do have a small amount of pride remaining!)

This year, I tried to make my way much closer to the start line.  Overall, I was better off, but I was still shocked with the amount of people that will go to these races, push their way up to the start line, and proceed to run slowly while pushing a jog stroller or actually walk in the first half mile of the race!

People, please!  If you are going to be walking at the start of the race, please do us all a favor and let the runners go in front of you and then try to stay out of the middle of the course!

#5 - Find Something to Keep the Kids Occupied

This is crucial!  Last year we staked out a spot by Mile 6 that allows clear views of three parts of the course.  it also has lots of grass for the kids to run on:
Trees for the kids to climb in:
Hours of entertainment...
It's also great to bring some friends or buddies along.  In this case, we brought their cousin J. from Tucson.  He literally is a miracle baby.  His mom ran in the race and my brother did a great job of cheering her on.  They also have a really cool blog:

The "Real" Team Jacob

It was so cute to see E. playing with her cousin Jacob.
Team Jacob?

I know I'm biased, but I think that this Jacob...



...is way cuter than this Jacob:

Odds 'N Ends:


Anyway, it was a really fun morning.  I was pretty happy with my run times, especially considering that I really had not prepared like I should have for the race.  The official results aren't in, but my watch unofficially had me in the following times:

  • 10k - 49:11 (7:56 pace)
  • 5k - 24:37 (also a 7:56 pace--a big improvement over last year, but I definitely was feeling the effects of the 10k earlier that morning)

R. and S. did great too.  Last year, S. did the Fun Run and I forgot to set my watch, but it was probably about 10 minutes for him.  This year, S. (who is 2 years younger) did the 1 mile in 9:11 and R. did it in 9:13.  What was amazing was that their mile pace was only about a minute slower than mine!

They both had a good time and I think they'll do it again next year.  R. stopped for water at the half mile mark and couldn't bring himself to throw his cup on the ground because he didn't want to litter!  It was fun to run with him and show him how to chuck his cup on the ground and that it was okay to do that just during the race!

Also, the race had a couple of celebrities.  We passed female athlete and amputee Sarah Reinertsen during the Fun Run.  She was on the Amazing Race and is an accomplished triathlete and marathoner.  She was the first female amputee to complete the Kona Ironman.  (Someday, I hope to do that!)  Sarah was very gracious during the run and I told her that I loved her on the Amazing Race!
Sarah Reinertsen
Sarah Reinertsen
I also saw one of the cast members from the Real Housewives of Orange County.  I'm actually ashamed to admit that I recognized her, because I never watch that show.  But she did happen to be on the one episode that I guess I watched.  Anyway, I refuse to name who she is.   I want to preserve what little shreds of dignity that I may have remaining to me!  ;)

The Real Housewives of Orange County

We'll be back next year!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling us about the Turkey Trot Greg!!! I loved it! Best 5k ever. p.s. our Team Jacob is definitely cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole is a really cute mom. And yes, her Jacob is cuter than Twilight's though you picked a really bad photo of that Jacob.

    Congrats on getting the family out and running. I'm impressed your boys did that. Next year, I am going to look into one for me and my kids to run.

    I can't believe you ran the 5K and the fun run after the 10K with that blister. I would have hung it up even if I had paid for the other two.

    I hope you indulged a little today for your efforts.

    J always does the best job of dressing E. She looks soooo cute in that tutu at the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole--

    We loved having you, Lance, and Jacob there with us! It was so fun!

    Brooke--

    I can assure you that the selection of the picture was totally intentional. I think E. got most excited when she saw a group of runners come past wearing their own tutus as part of their holiday running atire. That brought a huge smile to E.'s face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wrap my head around Turkey Day running. First--I can't run, so I'm automatically out. Second--aren't you at home in the kitchen making tons of food like me?? Third--why run on a day dedicated to laziness?? I go great guns all year long. There is no way I'm going to get my tuckus off the couch and run on a day dedicated to slothfulness. But goof for you! :)

    Team Jacob is only unwise in book one. Book two...meow. I'm Team Edward, but Jacob certainly swayed me in book two. That being said--your Team Jacob is also adorable and compelling.

    BTW--you crack me up! I really don't go all out on everything. I'm not detail oriented at all, and I'm kind of lazy. This may surprise you as a new reader, but I promise it's true! :)

    ReplyDelete