Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Friday Edition

Shopping Pandemonium
Black Friday was yesterday.  It has traditionally marked the start of the Christmas shopping season.  I have heard that it got it's name because it is the day when retail stores go "in the black" for the year and become profitable.

Every year there are stories of people going crazy trying to get in on the great deals.  This year was no exception:
Today's Headlines Re Black Friday
Yes, I'm ashamed to say that the pepper-spraying incident happened in Southern California.  I heard she at least had enough remorse to turn herself in today.  No word on whether she kept the discounted X-Box that she was so desperate to get at midnight!

I like to avoid the crowds at Black Friday.  And if you are going to catch me doing any shopping at midnight, it will be from the internet as I enjoy the comfort of my own home.

My mom and sisters, however, are another story.  They were plotting out their midnight shopping routes on Thanksgiving Night.  I haven't yet heard whether they have recovered yet or if it was even worth it.  I'm sure they'd claim that it was worth missing sleep, but I still have my doubts!

My big online purchases yesterday were a new 23 inch monitor for our home computer from TigerDirect.com and a DVD.  That hit my shopping limit for the day.

Today, J. had me brave the crowds to hit Costco in search of some items that are on the kids' wish list for Santa.  She stayed safely at home and I got to take E. for some quality daddy-daughter time.  I think the real reason E. was excited to go was that I promised her a Costco hot dog and a slushee.  But I was still glad that she came with me.
This might or might not be on Santa's list this year...
...depends on whether Costco gets it back in stock!
Frankly, it was a lot busier when I was at Costco on Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving).  It got so frenzied that someone actually took out my legs from behind with their shopping cart.  I narrowly avoided biffing it in front of the entire store.  
Yes, this story is true...
If I had, I'm sure that people would have at least been kind enough to step over me or around me as they continued on their merry way!  Maybe if I'd been really lucky, someone might have even stopped!  ;)

What struck me from yesterday and today in my limited anecdotal experience, however, was how few people seemed to be out shopping.  Our brand new Target's parking lot looked pretty empty last night.  I had to go to two Costco's today looking for the things on Santa's list (the first store was sold out) and both were pretty empty.  The I stopped at Walmart today.  Not too busy.

I really hope my experience is wrong.  Our economy could really use a boost from a strong holiday shopping season. 
If you're shopping for others this holiday season, don't forget to
follow Uncle Eddie's advice to Clark Griswold and get yourself "[s]omething really nice!"
I'd love to hear some of your crazy holiday shopping stories...

6 comments:

  1. black friday stresses me out so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love of shopping and getting deals is surpassed by my hatred of crowds and cold and insane parking lots. I never go out on black Friday. But I hear pepper spray is the must have gift this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were Black Friday and drama free this year on account of my cold. But you better bet I will be at it next year at midnight. I'm with your wife and sisters! I love the crowds, the craziness, the lines, the deals. It fills me with energy. Gee, I wonder if I'm an extrovert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purposely avoid Black Friday unless I'm with my mom and sister. But this year I wasn't. I did go to Michaels but that was late afternoon, so I'm not counting it. It's easy to avoid BF when you have no money to burn.

    Funny story, the last time I participated in BF with my mom and sister I drove them crazy whining and complaining the whole time about how crappy and tired I felt. Come to find out, I was newly pregnant and didn't know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re-reading this, my funny story may be TMI. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And btw, every time I go shopping for someone else I end up buying myself something reeeeal nice.

    ReplyDelete