Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mr. Mom


So J. is out of town this weekend.  She is having fun attending our family's "Sisters Weekend" up in SLC.  Every so often my sisters, my mom, and the sisters-in-law get together to hang out and do girl stuff.  Actually, I'm not really sure what they do (probably get things like pedicures and facials or something), but they all seem to love it.

So I've been playing "Mr. Mom" for about two days now.  Yesterday was the first full day.  I was supposed to work from home.  That didn't quite work out as I had a last minute, emergency appearance I had to make for a client.  I thought I'd be home just after lunch and spend the rest of the day with the kids after sending the babysitter home.  Instead, I had all sorts of emergency calls, letters to send, and meetings.  It was probably one of the longest, craziest days I've had in a while.  To say it was stressful would be an understatement.

To make a long story short, I left the house at 8:15 a.m. and sent the babysitter home at 8:00 p.m.  I was 130 bones poorer, but it was worth it knowing the kids had been well-cared for and safe.  I'm not sure how working moms do it.

I thought it would be fun to watch a movie last night with the boys.  They loved it.  I totally passed out!  The boys woke me up when it was over and I made sure that they got to bed before hitting the sack myself.

I got woken up this morning at about 7:30 a.m. by my daughter (E.) asking me for a "chocolate shake."  That's what she calls chocolate milk.  Since then, it's been a whirlwind of a soccer games, errands, trips to the store, diaper changes, feeding kids, more diaper changes, and trying to do a few projects around the house.  Again, I'm not really sure how J. does it on a regular basis.  But I know that she'd be proud of me.  More importantly, she'll be thrilled to read this and hear how "hard" I think it is to do her job.  (I love you J.!)
One of today's projects--I added a shelf for drying clothes in the laundry room.
This is how we roll through Walmart!
The boys are still going strong downstairs.  I pray they haven't made too many messes down there that I'll have to clean up later.  I got E. down to bed and am trying to enjoy the BYU football game before it's time to put the boys down.

It's been a lot of fun to spend some quality time with the kids.  They have been great and we are blessed with better kids than we probably deserve.  E. especially is so adorable.  She is 3 and actually picked out her purple outfit (above) and pink pajamas below and dressed herself today.

I have loved it every single time she has told me today: "Daddy, I love you sooo much!"  She is such a momma's girl, that this is really a huge deal and feels like a breakthrough for me!  :)
Watching the BYU football game together...Go Cougars!
J., you probably are too busy at Sister's Weekend to read this, but when you do, I hope you feel better knowing that the kids are good, happy, and well fed.  We've had a great time, but I'm glad I don't have to quit my day job to do yours!  :)  Hurry home, we miss you!!

7 comments:

  1. I've been re-living my single days with frozen pizza and burritos since Thursday. It's no fun having mom out of town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on surviving. You are a good dad and I am impressed you had time for an extra project in there! E is adorable and I am glad she rewarded you with an "i love you!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lance, I feel for you! I didn't realize that Nicole took the little guy with her to SLC! I'm glad that we'll be seeing you guys this week. We can have a "Brothers Day!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you make a great Mr. Mom!! We missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers for Mr. Mom!! Nice work on the drying rack. You deserve some sort of medal for not only lasting, but for making fatherhood look good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys totally deserve a brothers' day. Greg, you are an amazing daddy! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last part about you and your little girl is my favorite part. And I'm sure your wife is very appreciative to know that you understand how busy her job is.

    I think it's so important that parents spend both quality and quantity time with their kids and it sounds like this last weekend you were able to do both, and they loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete