Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chicken and Rice Recipe

Every blog worth its salt needs a post about cooking and recipes.  Here's my entry:

I don't have a lot of time to cook.  But the challenge is to eat something that is nutritious, tasty, filling, and cheap.  I feel pretty good about this dish that I recently came up with called (for lack of a better title) Chicken and Rice Concoction.

Here are your basic ingredients:
Salsa -- I like to use Pico de Gallo Salsa.  It is mild but with a little zing.

White Chicken Breast

Organic Brown Rice
 Not only is this easy to make, it's also easy to get the ingredients.  Salsa is available at any grocery store.  The chicken and the rice are both available from Costco.












If I were a little less lazy, I would just do one cup of rice in the rice cooker.

I like to do brown rice because I think it's healthier.  When I cook in the rice cooker, I use three cups of water for every cup of rice because I like my rice stickier and not so dry.  It takes a little longer to cook in the rice cooker, but it's worth it.

Also, be sure to add a little salt to the rice cooker as well.  :)  It really helps with the flavor.

Directions:


1.  Pop the top on the organic rice bowl and pop it in the microwave for 90 seconds.  Use two of these bowls.

2. Empty half of the salsa container into a mixing bowl while the rice is cooking.

3.  Empty the can of chicken into the mixing bowl while the rice is cooking.

4.  Stir well.

5.  When the rice is done, dump both packages into the mixing bowl and keep stirring.

6.  Enjoy!

My kids love this stuff.  The picture doesn't do it justice because my kitchen lighting is terrible (but oh-so-"eco friendly" thanks to California's "green" building standards)!
 Health Factor:


You are eating the following:

  • Chicken (good source of protein)
  • Organic Brown Rice (that gets your grains covered with some good complex carbohydrates)
  • Pico de Gallo Salsa -- basically tomato, cilantro, onion, and lime juice  (fruits and veggies--check!)
A very balanced and nutritious meal.

Budget:


I'm a big eater and this comfortably served for two meals for me.

Here's the breakdown:

  • Rice - 2 packages at $1.17 per bowl = $2.34
  • Chicken - 1 can at $1.67 per can = $1.67
  • Salsa - 0.5 packages at $1.50 per package = $0.75
Total = $4.76 for two servings or $2.38 per meal

Time Factor:

Honestly, less time that it took to do this post.  Approximately 5-10 minutes.


Now I'm hungry!

7 comments:

  1. No.......no food posts at 12:30 in the morning. Now I want this! Thanks a lot, Greg!

    I only eat brown rice, unless I'm eating Vietnamese or Thai. Then I go with sticky coconut rice. So tasty! I love my rice cooker. It changed my life. I will have to try your trick with extra liquid. My rice is always too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard you talk about this meal several times so it must be good. I have to admit, you lost me at rice cooker but I am hoping I can cook the rice in the microwave. I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke--

    Sorry for my digression into rice cookers. You don't need one for this recipe.

    If you buy those rice bowls from Costco, you just crack the seal and put them in the microwave for 90 seconds. You don't even need to add water. It's really easy and I hope you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna have to show this to my husband. He is always looking for quick and easy lunches. And he served his mission in the Philippines and came home with a deep and abiding love of rice. He was the one who insisted we register for a rice cooker when we got married. We used it so much it gave up the ghost earlier this year. It was a sad day. We desperately need to replace it because cooking rice on the stove (esp brown) is such a pain!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg-

    I am about to make a triple batch of this, and thought you and yours would also enjoy it based on this recipe. I make mine in the crockpot. Add all ingredients, and cook for about 3-4 hours on high.

    WHITE CHILI

    2 cans of white northern beans, drained and rinsed
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3+ cloves garlic
    2 4oz cans green chilies, diced
    1 1/2 t ground cumin
    1 t cayenne pepper--omit if you don't like the heat
    1 t oregano
    1/2 t salt
    2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. I use one whole Costco chicken, shredded. If you do this, ignore the browning process below.
    1 large (49 oz can or box)chicken broth
    1 cup water

    -) Cut chicken into cubes and brown if desired

    -) Put all ingredients in large pot and stir to mix thoroughly

    -) Bring to a boil

    -) Cover and cook slowly about 2 hours

    -) You may want to thicken by mixing 4 T cornstarch in 1 C cold water to dissolve and adding to chili while almost boiling

    -) Stir in well and lower heat

    -) Serve with grated white cheese (Jack, Muenster, Mozzarella) and corn chips

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was once tricked into buying Chicken in a can by someone who posted a yummy looking recipe on her blog, not mentioning names (it was Brooke).
    So I have 3 cans of chicken to give away to a good home !!! Of course with postage it isnt quite as economical as this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaari--

    I'm excited to try your recipe. I definitely think I'd like it, so I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete