Sunday, February 12, 2012

Curriculum Night 2012

E. Stands for "Excited" About Curriculum Night
Thursday night was "Curriculum Night" at my R. and S.'s elementary school.  I don't even remember having such an event when I was growing up, but let's face it--that was a long time ago.  Basically Curriculum Night is like Back to School Night, except that it's in the middle of the year so you can see what your kids have been working on all year.

S.'s was first.  I got the night off on the wrong foot when I went to the wrong classroom.  I went to S.'s class from last year!  Oops!  Sometimes having a good memory can cause those types of problems!  I walked into the classroom and found absolutely no one there but the teacher!  Turns out J. got the time wrong and I was a half hour early.  

I put the time to good use by taking E. to play on the playground.  She was so cute about doing the swings and holding my hand as we walked back and forth.  Confidentially, that may have been my favorite part of the evening!  (What can I say, I think she's totally adorable!)
"Donde Estan Los Animales" - S.'s Masterpiece
S. was so excited to have us there.  We got to check out his standardized test scores.  (He passed!) And he had a little packet of work for me to do.  R. and S. are in a Spanish immersion program at the elementary school, so basically they have 5-6 hours of Spanish language instruction per day and 1-2 hours of English language.  Their teachers are native speakers and the boys have really enjoyed learning a foreign language.  (They started in kindergarten.)

S. gave me a Spanish spelling test and he was so excited to mark me down when I missed two words (out of 10).  One of the words was "wrong" only because I didn't put the accent in.  I thought I should have gotten credit for it!  ;)
I Think J. Needs To Clean The Lens On Her Camera...
E. thought it was hilarious to steal the pieces of paper that made up the "Accentos" game that S. had me play. Can you tell how excited she is?  (Sorry for the blurry picture!)
E. aka "The Giggling Bandido" Strikes Again!
 Rex's classroom was just as crowded.  And Rex was just excited to quiz me on all of the work they had been doing.  thankfully, he also passed his standardized tests.  :)  And sadly, I didn't fare so well on his classroom version of "Are You Smarter Than a 4th Grader?"  I had no idea that California had 21 missions (my guess was 30).  And I had no idea of the names of the two main rivers in the Central Valley (Sacramento and San Joaquin--in case you were wondering).  Fortunately, I knew that California's nickname is "The Golden State"--but who doesn't know that??
A Job Well Done
In case you were wondering, J. came but somehow managed to avoid all the quizzes and tests.  Just because she doesn't seem Spanish doesn't seem like a good reason for making me carry the whole load!  But you know what, I wouldn't have it any other way.  What a fun night and one that reminded me how much I love being a dad!

3 comments:

  1. Wow how great is it that your kids are learning another language this way. Both my kids do Italian (in school) and after 3 years of it Riley can only say Hello and I like football! Money well spent there I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this has nothing to do with your post but I want to say J looks freaking amazing...no one would ever guess she is pregnant with those long tan legs in the first photo....

    ReplyDelete