Sunday, February 19, 2012

Whitney...

The Bodyguard - 1992
This album--one of the best selling soundtracks of all time--got plenty of air time my freshman year of college
Did you watch Whitney Houston's funeral service yesterday?  Neither did I.  Though I presume millions of Americans did.  I heard it was all over the news.  I just didn't have any time to watch.  Nor do I wish that I did.

One piece of news that stuck out though was that Bobby Brown and his 9-person entourage apparently got into an argument with Whitney's family and was not allowed in.  I think I'm with Whitney's family on this one.

I also loved hearing the stories in the news over the past few days about Whitney's compassion and good works for the underprivileged.  And I loved that I never heard about this from Whitney.  I love that she did them relatively anonymously and not so that anyone would marvel about how charitable that she was.

But back to the funeral...I didn't watch it because I was too busy trying to be a dad on a busy Saturday.  I do  think Whitney's story is a sad one.  I would say tragic, but somehow that word just doesn't "feel" right to me.  Tragic is something sad that happens, but more than sad--a tragedy is something that is unexpectedly sad.  Even though Whitney's death came as a shock, I can't say that it was unexpected given the demons that she has battled over the years.
I Wanna Dance With Someone - 1990
Whitney Made Us All Wanna Dance
The sad thing about Whitney's death is not just that she was taken too soon.  It's that this type of ending seemed a little predictable.  Whitney's struggles with addiction and drugs have been widely documented for what seems like years.  It's sad that this ending had to happen, especially to her--someone that (still) seemed so young and whose music has given such joy to so many people.

I thought about posting a recent pic of Whitney.  I'm sure I could have found one really easily that would have shown how drugs can really rob you of your youth, innocence, and beauty.  (Thank goodness for the Word of Wisdom!)  But then I decided that I didn't really want to look at that on my blog, and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't either.
America's Sweetheart - 1991
I still remember collecting this football card when I was in high school
Instead, I choose to remember the fresh-faced, innocent (as far as I know) Whitney of my youth.  The Whitney who "wowed" us at the Super Bowl in 1991.  The Whitney who won Kevin Costner's heart as a famous singer who needed protection in 1992's "The Bodyguard" (I know, who woulda thunk she could pull off that role??).

I'm not naive.  I never thought that Whitney was a role model.  But even though she was flawed, I think she had a good heart.  Goodbye Whitney, we will miss you, your voice, and your music.

No comments:

Post a Comment