Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday, Friday...

R. and Dad
Jog-A-Thon
I woke up this morning to have J. reminding me that today was the Jog-A-Thon for my kids' elementary school.  Normally, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but apparently S. was really, really, really hoping that I would come watch him run.

Fortunately, I didn't have any pressing appointments this morning at work, so I emailed the office and told them I would be late.  Then I hustled over to the school to find the event already in progress.
S. is excited, can you tell?  (He's in the white t-shirt)
He really wanted me to run with him, so what could I do?  Though I was in jeans, hiking boots, and a sweatsuit jacket, I jumped in to run alongside him.  I told myself that it was good training for my race next week.  It probably wasn't, but it was fun!
I can't say I was exactly prepared to run this morning...
Fortunately, I didn't embarrass myself too much out there and was able to keep up with S.  One of S.'s gifts is that he can have an infectious enthusiasm.  He ended up running 19.5 laps.

J. and I then ran some errands together while we waited about an hour for R.'s portion of the Jog-A-Thon to start.  I enjoyed being able to hang out with E. a little bit during the day.  I know that she is only 3, but I pretty much dote on her.  I find her way too irresistible!
R. manages to combine a hop, a dance, a skip, and a run all in one...can you tell?
R. did a great job as well.  He was having so much fun.  Mostly, I just watched (and truthfully, I was grateful for the opportunity to rest a little!) him run.
Okay, this is just embarrassing!  I'm just glad it was casual Friday so I wasn't in a suit!
There were less parents running with R.'s group--probably because he was older, but at the end he did want me to run with him.  Jeans, no running shoes, no warm-up?  No problem!
Yes, I know that J. needs a new phone--if only to get a better camera!
R. ended up doing 22 laps and I was proud of the effort that both he and S. put into the event.  Given that the event was a fundraiser, I was so inspired by their enthusiasm, I made sure that our family made a modest donation before we took off.

Lunch with a Friend
At lunch today, I was surprised with a text from my good friend Brad.  He was in my area and wanted to go to lunch.  I tried to explained to someone at work how long I've known Brad.  We weren't just friends in high school and college.  I've known Brad since I was probably 3 or 4 years old.  We were in Sunbeams together and he was my best--and really only--LDS friend growing up.  (Obviously, I didn't grow up in Utah.)

As kids, we dreamed of having our own business together.  It may never happen, but it's really nice to have outstanding, loyal friends in your life.  The older I get, the more I realize what a rare commodity that is these days.  I feel blessed to have a few such friends in my life.  Even though I don't get to see him as much as I should, it was nice to catch up.
Lunch at Las Fajitas
Brad is also one of my few single guy friends, so in addition to catching up on his world traveling, I got to hear a few stories about his dating adventures.  He's a great guy, so I'm rooting for him to finally find "the one."  (Along with my brother, but that's a subject for a different post...)

Movie Review: The Hunger Games
Finally, to celebrate Friday, I managed to convince J. to go see a movie with me tonight.  Actually, when J. found out that I almost saw the midnight showing of "The Hunger Games" last night, she let it be known that she wanted to go see it too.  I didn't need any further prodding to get Royal and Nicole to go with us in a belated celebration Royal's birthday...so here's my movie review:
I read the novels a few years back and have been anxiously awaiting this movie for a couple of months.  (See my post on "Safe and Sound.")  All I've been hearing about in the news is how this movie is "Just Like Twilight" and intended for an audience of 14-year-old girls.  In my opinion, neither is true.

First of all, the movie is really nothing like "Twilight."  Okay, since I've never even read the Twilight novels or seen any of the Twilight movies, I don't really have any basis for making that conclusion, but I've talked to enough "Twi-Hards" to feel like I'm not out on too much of a limb here.  Second, who cares if the protagonist is a 14-year-old girl.  She is an awesome, admirable character--as much a literary cynosure as Herman Melville's Billy Budd.  In short, Katniss kicks butt and is an inspiring fountain of goodness.  She is someone that any adolescent--boy or girl--could look up to.

The movie itself is gut-wrenchingly raw.  I could hear other movie-goers getting emotional around me.  The theme of sacrificing oneself for others is strong and compelling throughout the film.

I found several strong parallels in the plot.  First, I found the concept of the "Reaping" where one person is chosen from each gender to represent the district in the Hunger Games to be very reminiscent of the famous short story by Shirley Jackson--The Lottery.
I took this pic of the Reaping with my phone...
 The plot also borrows Shakespearian themes of star-crossed young lovers.  Yes, for all the female viewers out there, there is a love story.  I guess since there's apparently a love story in Twilight there is at least one similarity between the vampire series and the Hunger Games.  But I personally find Peeta and Gale more likable than Robert Pattinson (I have no idea what his vampire name is!).

One thing that I really appreciate about the books and the movie is that Peeta is unabashedly and competely "Team Katniss."  For example, at one point Peeta says that he knows that he has no chance of winning the Games, but he has still been training hard and trying to learn everything that he can to survive.  At that moment, it becomes obvious that the reason that Peeta is doing everything is because he wants to help Katniss survive.  Peeta's willingness to help Katniss, despite the personal cost to himself, is both noble and inspiring.

I don't want to give away more of the plot than I already have, but I rarely have time to see movies these days and I'm glad that I saw this one--on opening night no less.  And I rarely see movies twice. But I'd see this one again.  Go see it and let me know what you think!


9 comments:

  1. Greg Dyer! You do a great job on your blog. Glad I found you. (This is Deanna Marshall Herrmann from back home.) Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna! It's so great to hear from you! You look totally the same--it's like you haven't aged a day! Where are you guys living these days and how on earth did you ever find this blog? Say hi to Kim and your mom and dad for me. We miss seeing them back in the "hood." Thanks also for the kind words about the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you haven't seen the twilight movies... they have a decent amount of entertaining vampire/werewolf fighting. Unfortunately the rest of the movie is basically a close up of twinkly vampire-boy's face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your comparison of the Twilight movies with the Hunger Games. They dont compare, I saw a preview for the fourth Twilight Movie (part 2) and a quote from the movie was (Edward to vampire Bella) "We are the same temperature now" (Corny!)

    I really enjoyed the Hunger Games movie, good action and true to the book.

    PS Great job on running the jog-a-thon, I always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spence--I saw that quote from the new Twilight movie as well. Without thinking, I turned to J. and go: "Does she (i.e. Bella) turn into a vampire too?"

    J. told me that she does and then I realized that that one clip had totally spoiled the entire series for me! Now I unwittingly know what happens--even though I may be the last person in America who has not read any of the books or seen any of the movies!!! (Though I haven't ruled it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are are a great Dad to do the Jog with the boys.
    I am glad you got to have (what looks like a very Yummy) lunch with your mate. Is it inappropriate to try and match make him with Brooke? If it is I will say its all your idea.
    Thanks for the Hunger Games review. I put my name down at the library for the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a review about the twilightishness, and i totally disagree also. I thought the reaping scene was one of the best scenes in the movie. and i think katniss is a really awesome protagonist—she's actually doing something besides wanting to be vampire.

    p.s. this is me putting a "like" symbol next to spencer's comment about the same temperature, and lance's comment about the twinkly vampire-face. [you guys are funny]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you and Julie got to see the movie! Lance doesn't like watching anything in the theater so I might need to sneak away with my girlfriends if I want to see this one anytime in the next year...

    I can't decide if I think Peeta is the best character, or Katniss. I love Katniss' unyielding resolve and fierce love for her sister...but Peeta is so unselfish and adoring. Who can resist a love story, eh?

    Greg, what are your thoughts on the violence in the film? The whole premise of the story is violent but when you're reading it, it doesn't feel so bad as seeing it on screen, I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete