Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tips For A Successful Trip to the 3rd or 4th Happiest Place On Earth

I couldn't resist this souvenir...I'm embarrassed to say how much it cost,
but check out the look on E.'s face!
Our family took a little field trip today to Legoland.  Legoland is a really fun place...if you're a little kid who doesn't like thrill coasters or if you're really into Lego toys.  That's why it only ranks third or fourth on the list of Happiest Places on Earth.  Here are the top 5 on the list (in case you were curious):
  1. Disneyland/Disneyworld 
  2. Someplace in NorCal called "Gilroy Gardens" (or so I've been told...)
  3. Legoland or Magic Mountain
  4. Magic Mountain or Legoland
  5. Lagoon? (a very distant fifth I might add...)
Anyway, our trip was for E.'s pre-school class and we got to go as part of a big group.  So without further ado, let me get started on some of my tips for having a successful outing to Legoland (i.e. the 3rd or 4th Happiest Place on Earth!).

Food
Stop before you get to the park.  This is crucial because it is likely to save your family quite a bit.  I saw a pizza at the part that was being advertised as a "meal for 4" for the bargain basement price of $28!  If you stop at the Golden Arches like we did right outside the park, treat yourself to a Shamrock Shake even though it's still breakfast.
You really need this...
Convince yourself that it's completely justifiable because you are "carbo loading" for your big race on Saturday.  Even if you don't have a big race, I'm pretty sure you're going to need all the energy you can get to keep up with your kids at the park anyway.

Eat and enjoy because by lunchtime, you'll find yourself paying $6 bucks for a soda in a commemorative cup and justifying it because you can get Diet Coke refills for "only" a $1.50!

Parking
If you are coming with a big group (like we did), there are bound to be some free parking passes to be had.  Snag one.  Tell yourself that you really need it.  This will save you another $12 bones or so.  But it won't save you from having to wait 20 minutes while the cars ahead of you fumble for pocket change to pay their exorbitant parking fees.  Try to ignore the increasingly desperate cries from the kids in the back seat who are too excited to wait another minute to get in the park.

Attire
Check the weather report before leaving for the park.  If it promises clear, sunny skies and 66 degree temps bring a jacket.  Remember that you live in SoCal and 66 degrees this time of year is considered unseasonably cold.  Laugh when everyone gets out of the car and immediately pulls on their jackets when the first chilly breeze hits them.
Yes, this is a terrible pic, but note the long sleeves, jackets, and sweaters, despite the clear skies...
Yes, we are spoiled with good weather, but at least we admit it.  Realize that, as a parent, you will probably be carrying all of the kids' jackets before you even make it to lunch time.  =o)

Tickets
Resist the urge to "upgrade" your ticket to a nearly $200 "resort" pass.  Wonder who in the world really considers Legoland a "resort."  I'm not even sure that I consider Disneyland a resort.
Family Vacations at Atlantis Resort Bahamas
Now this is what I call a resort!
Be grateful that you didn't pay full price ($70+) for today's adventure.  Thank "Miss Ando" for her keen sense of business acumen that got all of the school group in for the bargain basement price of $15 a person.

The Lines
Avoid the very first "thrill" ride you get to after entering the park.  (Coaster-saurus, perhaps??)  Everyone else and their dog is already in line for this ride.  Remember that this is NOT Magic Mountain nor is it even Disneyland.  None of the rides you go on today will have any "thrill" associated with the ride...
This ride, Coaster-saurus, warned its patrons that the wait time was 60 minutes.  The ride itself last 37 seconds.  How do I know that?  I timed it. Here is the most exciting 15 seconds of the ride.  No, I did not slow down the video.  That is the actual speed.  Try not to be bitter about waiting so long for a 37 second ride.  Focus instead on the fact that the wait time was really only 50 minutes or the fact that the ride is so short that they actually let you make two trips at a time!

When you meet up with your friend who left the line rather than wait and he asks you: "Was the ride worth it?", look at him sincerely and really mean it when you tell him: "Chad, this is Legoland.  None of these rides are worth it."  Have a good laugh with him and hope that that's the last hour-long wait for a ride that you have to endure for the day!

The real thrill will come from finally putting this ride in your rear view mirror.  A ride that is so "exciting" that there are actually warning signs that suggest that the ride might or might not be "too intense" for "park guests that are visibly pregnant."  As an attorney, realize that this "warning" is essentially meaningless.

Try not to be bitter that your visibly pregnant wife lucked out and got to skip this ride (and the wait) because of this stupid warning sign. Consider filling out a comment form for park management that the "visibly pregnant" language should be changed to say that the ride is "too intense for park guests whose water has broken or who have already gone into labor."  Everyone else should be just fine.  =o)

The Rides
Some of the more popular rides...
I got to ride the helicopter with E. 
What Legoland lacks in quality, it can make up for in quantity.  These rides are simple, but are still all-time favorites for the kids.  E., in particular, built up her confidence so much that by the end of the day, she was announcing: "I brave"  (in the cutest little 3-year-old voice) and proclaiming that she wanted to go on the "upside down ride."
E. didn't handle it so well when she wasn't tall enough for the scariest ride in the park...
she's pointing to where R. is waiting in line (without her)!  :(
Well, Dad actually went on the upside down ride.  It's in the "Castle" section of the park and think of it as the equivalent of mechanical bull ride if by "bull" you really mean "dragon" that can go upside down and flip you all around.  I was bolted into this cage thingey and of course R. picked the most intense setting for the ride (you can choose between 1 to 5 with 5 being the most intense).  The ride basically hung me upside down until all the blood rushed to my head and then started flinging us from side to side.  

I'm shocked I'm not bruised and battered after doing my best Lane Frost, "8 Seconds" imitation on the mechanical dragon.  R. thought it was great.  He's 10.  I'm glad they shut the park down after that last ride of the day!

The Kids
Our kids were troopers.  It's not easy to be all amped up on adrenaline, but still be pleasant and good-natured.  I was constantly reminded how blessed I am to have the kids that I do.  That does not mean that there were not "moments" but on the whole, I was very please at how much fun we had.

Here's some pics of the kids (okay, now I'm blatantly pandering to the few family members who patronize my blog!): 
Yes, R. you're doing crazy stuff, but as long as it's keeping you happy, I don't care!
One minute, R. and S. are testing my patience by poking at each other...
...or giving each other "noogies"...
And the next minute, they totally redeem themselves by doing this!  =o)
or by looking like this...
The Drama
It wasn't all roses.  The long lines (and long day) tested more than a few patiences, I'm sure.  I was shocked when I found myself in line behind these two women.  I thought they were about to have a throw-down after one lady accused the other lady of trying to cut in line!  Yikes!

Friends
Perhaps the most unexpected, happiest surprise were the friends that came with our group.  We've been in a Spanish-speaking congregation for over two years now and have missed seeing some of our friends in our regular church congregation (or ward).  It was so fun to wait in line with some of these friends because we got a chance to visit and catch up with them.  So thanks to all of you for making it such a fun day at the park!  It wouldn't have been the same without you!  (And I'm already looking forward to next year's excursion!)
Closing down the park...note how E. has decided to let me do all the hard work on the way out...
All in all, it was a really fun day at the park and I would definitely go again next year.  Especially if we can snag $15 entry passes and free parking to boot!  =o)



4 comments:

  1. I'm so mad that you got to drink the Shamrock shake today. So mad.

    Cute photo of E and you in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg: I am so happy to find your blog. Two years ago I took Deanna's youngest and Kim's youngest to LegoLand and quite frankly, this Grandma had a blast with them. Except, I was so exhausted afterwards. It wasn't that crowded when we went. Bro. Marshall was with his father, so he missed out on all that 'excitement.' So great to see you online. What a great family you have. Sis. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you and your fam had a good time. I despise theme parks and will be pleased when my kids are adults and I never have to set foot in one again.
    PS I think 8 seconds was one of that guy from BH90210 best work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister M--

    It's so great to hear from you and thanks so much for checking out the blog! Say hi to Brother M for me. It'd be great to see you guys again next time we're up in Utah!

    ReplyDelete