Tuesday, May 8, 2012

48 Hours on Bluff Street

I had a basketball game Monday night.  I thought I'd be sore but the post-race massage I got was money!  I felt almost like normal out on the court even though 48 hours before, I had been running on the streets of St. George (including Bluff Street) trying to finish as best I could my first full Ironman race.

On the ride home from the race, my brother challenged me to see if I could still dunk even though I had done the race just two days before.  (Sometimes I think that we ought to add some sort of basketball skills competition--three point shooting or dunking ideally--to the triathlon so that I might have a prayer of winning one day!)  Generally, doing long endurance-type competitions doesn't do much for the fast twitch muscle fibers that you need to jump high.  I'm glad I was able to successfully respond to his challenge.

PS--The title of this post is inspired by a couple of television shows that you may or may not have ever seen.  As a kid, I remember Dan Rather had a groundbreaking show called 48 Hours on Crack Street.  It talked about the scourge of crack cocaine and it seemed like some class in junior high was always forcing us to watch it.  Today, one of my favorite weekend shows is 48 Hours Mystery.

PPS--Kaari, feel free to just skip this post altogether!  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment