Thursday, May 17, 2012

Every Beautiful Thought's Been Already Sung?

This is something that's been on my mind lately...

I recently read a couple of books about World War II.  I was impressed by the letters that the soldiers wrote home and how eloquent they were.  One book quoted a prayer written by the mother of a U.S. soldier who was a prisoner of war.  The mother's prayer was short, simple, beautiful, and profoundly expressed her heart's deepest desires.

In our modern high-tech society, we have so many ways to communicate and we can do so effortlessly, instantaneously, and (essentially) for free.  

(So long as you have an unlimited text messaging plan that is...one of my brothers didn't and after a recently getting a monthly bill with an unexpected $58 worth of text messages, I think he's finally getting one!)

But even with the miracle of modern technology, I wonder if we are merely using more words and/or modes of communication and, yet, actually saying less...

Modern Day Prose:
I cite some recent chart-topping examples:
Bruno Mars -- Not a Really a Poet In My Book
If you ever leave me, baby,
Leave some morphine at my door
'Cause it would take a whole lot of medication
To realize what we used to have,
We don't have it anymore....

'Cause what you don't understand
Is I'd catch a grenade for ya
Throw my hand on a blade for ya
I'd jump in front of a train for ya
You know I'd do anything for ya


There's just something about "taking a whole lot of medication" or having morphine left on your doorstep that really brings home the imagery of the power and majesty of true love...NOT!  

Also, I'm not sure what Bruno Mars was thinking with the list of things he'd do to prove his love.  I'd argue that whoever he's dating that is constantly in such mortal peril may need much more than a boyfriend.  She'd probably be better off with a good counselor for starters.  Or maybe she just needs to marry a doctor or EMT!

Katy Perry -- Her Prose Doesn't Exactly Make Me See Fireworks
"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag...?"

Yes, there is nothing more inspirational than comparing oneself to a "plastic" bag.  I even like some of Katy Perry's songs, but this type of prose ought to be banned just like environmentally minded municipalities across the country are banning real plastic shopping bags.

The Good Old Days:
On the other hand, check out some of these examples from the good old days (before every beautiful lyric had already been sung)...
Oingo Boingo -- My Favorite Band in High School
With sadness in my heart and joy in my mind
I thought about the ghost that we left behind
With everyone around telling us what to do
With deafening sound whisper: "I love you."
The fire in your eyes--may it never go out.
The sweetness of your tears make it feel like night.
I see no escape from the roles we always play
What do we have to prove on this judgment day?

Oingo Boingo is a great band and this is just the first example that I thought of for them.  What does it mean?  I'm not entirely sure (I've heard it said that it is an ode to the band's fans), but the prose (from 1987) is well put together and shows that the songwriter (Danny Elfman) has actually thought about the message he is trying to convey.
The Cure
Whenever I'm alone with you,
You make me feel like I am home again.
Whenever I'm alone with you,
You make me feel like I am whole again.
Whenever I'm alone with you,
You make me feel like I am young again.
Whenever I'm alone with you,
You make me feel like I am fun again.

However far away,
I will always love you.
However long I stay,
I will always love you.
Whatever words I say,
I will always love you,
I will always love you.


This song from The Cure (circa 1989) is simple, repetitious, yet haunting.  
Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough,
Ain't no valley low enough,
Ain't no river wide enough,
To keep me from getting to you, babe.

Even though this prose is not proper English, it's fun, catchy, and inspiring.  The message is clear and it's just a great song.  Even though it's from long before I was born (the song was first released in 1967).

It's not just music either...Listen to this letter from an unknown Civil War mother:
I never had any taste for war - indeed have always had a most unmitigated horror of it as an evil worse than pestilence or famile - but, it is a more obvious fact that this war has been forced upon us by a most unrelenting bitter and arrogant despotism - I must meet it as other mothers are compelled to meet it. I could not expect my son with his ardent temperment to remain indifferent. And I trust and pray that God may protect him, and that he may do honor to the memory and virtues of his Revolutionary Grandsires. But there are considerations that make it very bitter, very depressing to my feelings...
--Unknown Civil War Mother -- July 10, 1861

Think back to the last text or email that you received from someone.  I doubt it even came close to expressing it thoughts as articulately as did this random mother who was understandably concerned that she might have to lay a very "costly sacrifice...upon the altar of freedom."  (To quote Abraham Lincoln's 1864 letter to Mrs. Bixby.)  

So, Selena, though it may seem like every beautiful thought's already been sung, I hope you're wrong.  There must still be room in our world for more inspirational music and lyrics.  It's our job to create them.

What lame song lyrics have been bugging you lately?


UPDATE:  My brother reminded me of this gem from Nelly: "It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes...I am getting so hot, I want to take my clothes off."  Classy!

4 comments:

  1. I love that letter from the mother. Sadly I am sure my writing would be not nearly as well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I have always loved Bare Naked Ladies' songs because the words were really good and not just a lot of la la las and I love yous and a catchy beat. Love Song by the cure is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever post.

    At first I thought you were about to insult Selena Gomez and I was going to have to intervene. But you didn't and you made a very valid point.

    I saw this facebook post that compared the beautiful romantic lyrics of the jazz standard "The Nearness of You" to Justin Bieber's "Baby, baby, baby, ohhhh baby baby baby, ohhhh baby baby baby." We really have been dumbed down.

    I had to laugh at your reference to Oingo Boingo. I only know of them because I had a roommate who loved them (thanks to her older brother). She loved all Tim Burton's movies thanks to Danny Elfman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, ooh, another stupidly lame song lyric: any and all words of Red Solo Cup by Toby Keith.

    ReplyDelete