Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's a Miracle!

I woke up from a dead sleep a little after 6:30 a.m. this morning.  I had been home for not quite 12 hours from our trip to the BYU Fathers and Sons Basketball Camp over the weekend.

J. had had a doctor's appointment yesterday and the word was that even though she was two days past her due date, the baby was not going to come naturally for at least another week.  I slept soundly last night knowing that I would need the sleep since J. was scheduled to be induced early tomorrow morning (Thursday).

I was wrong.

The words that woke me up this morning were spoken by J.: "My water broke!"

Somehow, I managed to get up and get going.  Thank goodness I had unloaded my car last night!  J. was amazingly calm.  Less than 30 minutes after waking up, I had us walking into the emergency room.  (I ditched my car in some empty parking spot right next to the E.R.  Hopefully, my car has hasn't been towed by some angry doctor or hospital administrator whose spot I snagged!)
Obviously, this was after J. got her epidural!
J.'s nervousness subsided when Dr. Hancock arrived to administer the epidural.  Dr. Hancock was great, but the whole time he was here, I kept wishing my brother Dr. S. was the anesthesiologist instead.  Things calmed down quite a bit after the epidural and J. and I actually got in a couple of naps.
One of a Couple Naps at the Hospital...
This Baby Business is Exhausting!
At about 11 a.m., I realized that the doctor (Dr. Stadler) and the nurses were saying that the baby was close.  J. felt like she wanted to push.  After about 2 (maybe 3) pushes, the baby slipped right on out.  I just remember thinking that the baby was all arms and legs as he practically leaped from the womb.  I guess once he decided he was ready, he didn't want to wait another second to make his entrance into the world!
Cutting the Cord
It was 11:10 a.m.  It seemed like the total labor lasted about 2-3 minutes (at least of J. actively pushing).  I couldn't have been happier for J. that this delivery went so smoothly after what has been the hardest of all her pregnancies.
Baby D. weighed in at 8 pounds, 9 ounces.  He was 19.5 inches long.  He seems perfect to me and both he and his mom are doing great.  He hardly seems to cry at all and has been trying to eat already.
Baby D

The hospital here has a program that encourages skin-to-skin bonding with the baby and its parents.  Within 10 minutes of being born, the amazing delivery staff here at the hospital had practically abandoned us so that we could just hold him.  It was awesome.

This experience has reminded me just what a miracle the birthing process is.  I feel so blessed to have such a cute little guy come to our home.  Baby D., now that you're here, we can't wait to get to know you!
The New Addition to the Fam


14 comments:

  1. Your family is beautiful. J looks like a million bucks. How can she be so beautiful even after delivery. You are a lucky man!! Kiss that baby for me. I wish you were closer.

    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg and Julie you guys are the best! Congratulations on the new boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so so so happy! I can't wait to meet Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! The best post ever! So excited that little guy is out and has joined your cute family! Congrats to you all...love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling pics. I second that Julie looks waaaay too beautiful for just having a baby. She obviously didn't take the Brooke Harkness approach of blowing up to whale like proportions and then looking like death warmed over for the delivery. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! He's a lucky little dude to become part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously julie looks gorgeous. as does that cute baby. i love you guys so much! so happy you're six now! SEIS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I'm so happy for your whole family. He looks perfect. And, no fair for Julie to be looking all Angelina Jolie with the perfect face, beautiful shoulder. Such a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's sooooooo cute! I'm so glad you made it home in time! Huge congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Greg to you and Julie and the whole family. Baby D is beautiful and perfect. Well done to you both(especially you for getting in that nap lol).
    Excellent News!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Les felicito! Que bebe tan hermoso y perfecto! Your wife looks absolutely gorgeous.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what?! no one looks that good after having a baby. are you sure j didn't have a surrogate? :) congrats Dyers! He's absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Greg!! Your family is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!!! He's adorable, and J looks suspiciously hot in those photos. I did too, but I had a scheduled c-section, and none of this pushing biz.

    He's beautiful and perfect! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete