Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jog-A-Thon

25 Laps!
Yesterday was R. and S.'s annual elementary school jog-a-thon.  (Do you remember last year's jog-a-thon?  I do and this time I decided to NOT wear my jeans!)  Anyway, just a quick disclaimer that this post is probably mostly for grandparents, grandparents located in South America, and other close family members.  I'm not sure I'd want to subject anyone else to reading through the rest of this post!

Both R. and S. really got into it this year and for some reason they each told me how much they wanted me to be there.  I got there in time to take pictures of S.'s event and then I decided to run with R. to get a little workout in.
Exhausted!
S. was so proud of doing 22 laps "and no water!"  He was telling everyone that.  You can pretty much tell that he didn't drink any water from his picture above.  The first thing I did was get him a big bottle of water and make sure that he drank the whole thing to get him hydrated.

The track itself was 0.09 miles long (so 11 laps to the mile).  It was also very narrow and packed with kids, adults, teachers, etc.  It was pretty much chaos.  I tried to go across the track to get some pics of S. and pretty much took my life into my hands.  I was nearly run down by dozens of manic, munchkin kindergartners!
Cool down for S.
R.'s class did their portion of the jog-a-thon about an hour later.  The actual "jogging" part only lasted for 20 minutes, but it was chaos.  I'm seriously surprised that no one got run down out there.  Here's some shaky camera work as I tried to keep up with R.
If you look closely, you can see R. do a little horse-dance shimmy to the song "Gangnam Style."  R. has actually got an impressive repertoire of dance moves from that song--a talent which he most certainly did not inherit from his dad!  How does he have the energy to throw these dance steps in at Minute 17 of a 20 minute run?!?

In the end, I was proud of how hard each of them ran and surprised that I had to work so hard to keep up with R.  R. did 25 laps for 2.16 miles in 20 minutes.  S. did 2.0 miles in 20 minutes.  They were also both really tired after their runs, which means that they were working hard.  I couldn't afford to be tired since I had to go to work afterward, but I did have a lot of fun.  And it made for some good father-son bonding time.

I'll leave you with a quick video clip of S., showing how tired he was after his run (I love his body language!):


2 comments: