Sunday, October 28, 2012

I Drink Your Milkshake!

Daniel Day Lewis Enjoys a Refreshing Milkshake
One of the things that I love about Fall is that pumpkin pie and pumpkin-pie flavored items are readily available.  I especially love pumpkin pie shakes.  I've traveled far and wide this Fall to sample pumpkin pie shakes from all over the West.  Here are my ratings of the best (and worst):
Arctic Circle's Pumpkin Pie Shake was the best of the bunch!
#1 - Arctic Circle - This shake is very, very thick.  AC advertises that it extends above the rim of the cup.  You will definitely need a spoon to eat this, but the spice and flavoring is perfect.  I just wish that the nearest AC wasn't so far away!  :-)

Jack in the Box's Pumpkin Pie Shake Rocks!  (But Forget the Egg Nog--Yuck!)
#2 - Jack in the Box - Frankly, I thought that Jack in the Box would win this competition for yet another year.  That tells you just how good AC's shake was.  You can't beat Jack in the Box's two tacos for 99 cents deal--particularly when you combine that with one of their creamy, tasty pumpkin pie shakes.  I actually splurged the other night and had four tacos and one shake.  Luckily for me, there are plenty of Jack in the Box locations locally.  You can bet that their pumpkin pie shake that I had the other night will not be my last!
McDonald's Pumpkin Pie Shake was merely average
#3 - McDonald's - McDonald's does so many things well.  Let's start with their french fries.  I'm lovin' it.  Not to mention their $1 drink menu.  It's my new secret addiction.  Their pumpkin pie shakes are just okay.  A  nice treat, but not up to the standard of AC or Jack in the Box.  I give them credit for trying, however.  Unfortunately, not every franchise has pumpkin pie shakes on their menu.  I stopped by my local Mickey D's today and they only had Egg Nog on the menu so far.  That needs to change!
Jamba Juice's Pumpkin Smash Smoothie
#4 - Jamba Juice - I was excited to have Jamba's pumpkin smash earlier this week.  So much so that I departed from my "regular" beverage smoothie of choice.  Unfortunately, I was disappointed.  As I told a friend of mine, the pumpkin smash is just too sweet and not "pumpkin-y" spicy enough.  I think next time, I'll stick with the Caribbean Passion.
Sonic Invites you to "Drink More Pie"--I say "Save Your $$$"
#5 - Sonic - Okay, this is the only one that I haven't actually tried this Fall.  But I had one last year in St. George.  It was a reward to myself for finishing the St. George Marathon.  Even though I love Sonic, their pumpkin pie shake was not good.  And that's saying something because I think I was so calorically depleted following that marathon that I would have mainlined just about anything that promised to raise my blood sugar level.  Sadly, I'm pretty sure that I'll never be tempted to try another Sonic pumpkin pie shake!

Where are your favorite places to get pumpkin pie shakes this Fall?



3 comments:

  1. Ok you possibly know this already but in Oz we use pumkin as a veggie. We roast it with meat and potatoes, we use it in salads and at Christmas I make a pumpkin pie with onion and cheese sauce... so this post made me feel just a little bit ill. Here endeth the Oz culture class for today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that, but I bet it's good. Sounds like the pumpkin pie that you eat Down Under is more of a savory dish. You need to get some American culture--Pumpkin Pie (the sweet type) is better than Apple Pie (and more American...)! We'll get you educated right proper up next time you come visit Disneyland!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You talked me into the JITB pumpkin shake. I drank half of it, then felt sick. Tasty, though!

    ReplyDelete