Friday, October 26, 2012

It's Cool to be Kind--to Animals

With Olympic Silver Medalist Gretchen Bleiler and her husband Chris Hotell
Last night, I got a chance to go to an event that was being co-hosted by a client and friend of mine.  The event was a fundraiser benefit for the ASPCA and was at this spectacular house in Bel Air.  Bel Air is this tony neighborhood in Los Angeles in the hills above Westwood (where UCLA's campus is).  It is nestled between Beverly Hills and Brentwood and the Getty Museum is practically around the corner.

It was kind of a long drive, so the first thing that I did when I got there was head for the food.  The ticket that I had to shell out for was not cheap, so I was expecting some decent food at least.  (There was also wine tasting going on, although I didn't bother with that.)  I was not disappointed in the menu.

I took a picture of the menu for all you "Foodies" out there.  I should have taken a picture of the food.  It was that good!  :-)

First up was the salad.  The balsamic vinaigrette was outstanding, as were the beets and pear tomatoes.

Then we had some finger foods.  The mini paninis were extremely tasty.  I thought that the turkey and havarti cheese were outstanding, but my conscience felt much better knowing that it was "cruelty-free" turkey.  Hey, given that it was an ASPCA-event, I was just glad that it wasn't a vegetarian menu--or vegan.  (No word on whether it was GF--sorry Kaari!)

I also liked the mini chicken pot pies as well.  Again, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as "cruelty-free" chicken.  I just know that it tasted good (and I bet it cost more!).

I also got a chance to wander around the house and the grounds a bit.  The swimming pool was so beautiful. It had these fountains shooting up all along the pool and there was a spectacular peek-a-boo view of the beautiful lights of Westwood and Los Angeles.  From "The Hills," the city below really does look like a jewel and worthy of its name ("The City of Angels").
The dessert bar is at the far end of the pool (yes, I had several desserts!)
View from Above...Note the city lights in the background
Anyway, it was fun to be able to visit with my clients and meet/visit with some interesting people (including All-World, Olympic Snowboarder Gretchen Bleiler and her husband).  On my way out, I grabbed a swag bag.  It made me feel a little more like a celebrity!
The Swag Bag Table was a little depleted by the end of the night...
I enjoyed myself and gained a new appreciation for the ASPCA.  Among other things, I was reminded that puppy mills are bad and rescue animals are good!  ;-)

All in all, it was a great night--great people and a great event.  Thanks AKS and the whole S&Co. team for planning and pulling the whole thing off!  You are total pros!

Now if I somehow could have avoided that long drive home!

No comments:

Post a Comment