Thursday, October 11, 2012

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Rainbow Over Our Community This Morning (thanks C.H.!)


I woke up this morning to rain.  But, as I drove the kids to school, I realized that not only had we been blessed with rain (which we so desperately need here in Southern California), but we had been doubly blessed with a beautiful rainbow.  My boys were so excited to see it as we drove down the hill to school.

The picture above was not one that I took.  It was taken by a friend of mine and I snagged it off of his Facebook page.  But I think that it looks awesome!

The rainbow was incredibly bright.  I think it's been a long time since I've seen one so bright.  And, even cooler, was the fact that it was a double rainbow.  If you look closely, you can see the second rainbow to the  left of the main one.  I can't remember the last time that I saw a double rainbow like that.

Later today, as I sat in my office, I heard a huge ruckus on my office window.  I looked out only to see the rain coming down like buckets, even though the sky was sunny.  It was an awesome sight, so I grabbed my camera to snap a picture.

It was coming down so hard that I was reminded of a quote from Saturday Night Live's "Deep Thoughts" with Jack Handy:
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
I've never complained about the rain here in Southern California because we need it so bad.  But today reminded me that not only is the rain necessary--it can be incredibly beautiful.  Sometimes rainy days aren't so bad...Despite what Jack Handy thinks!  ;-)
The rain out my window today

1 comment: