Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Dilemma...

My Garmin Nuvi 755
I love my Garmin GPS unit.  I use it every day, even when I don't need it to know where I'm going.  Recently, however, the unit has gotten a bit touchy in that it switches to battery power if the power cord gets bumped in the car.

It was only minor annoyance at first, but I had to switch cars the other day and my darling little girl, E., apparently took an interest in my Garmin.  Now the unit is DOA and will not charge at all with the power cord.

So here's my dilemma:  Do I try to buy some parts to see if I can fix the unit or do I just buy a whole new Garmin?
The Garmin 2455 at Costco

I've had my eye on this little gem at Costco for some time now.  My current Garmin unit is probably at least two years old, so it would be nice to upgrade.  Also, I figure it will probably cost me about $30 to try to buy the replacement parts for my current unit--but with no guarantee that it will solve the problem.

On the other hand, I could just walk into Costco, plunk down $160 bones, and be the proud new owner of a brand new unit.  The great thing about buying a GPS unit from Costco is that if the thing ever goes bad, you can just take it back and Costco will replace it.

I've done that before and it is very, very convenient.  Costco's return policy is AWESOME!!

I think it's a little optimistic to think that Santa would have room in his sleigh for this and I don't know how long I can wait.  Driving around town without my GPS unit just feels...wrong somehow!!

Anyway, feel free to weigh in and let me know what you think I should do...Repair or Replace???


5 comments:

  1. Repair! it will be a fun experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur - try fixing it...if it doesn't work out, it's only $30 that you have put into a fun project.

    And...as my wife always reminds me, this close to xmas you don't want to purchase something that a spouse might be planning on getting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why on earth aren't you just using an app on your phone? Who still uses stand alone GPS units? (real question)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaari, there are good reasons to have a stand alone unit. What do you do if you don't have cell service in an area? GPS units always have service as long as they can see the sky. Also, what happens if you have to take a phone call while you're driving or if your cell battery dies. Or if your kids want to play with your phone during the drive to keep themselves from being bored (this happens to me all the time). You don't have those problems with a stand alone unit.

    Also, the iPhone's new map app really stinks. Apple even apologized for rolling it out prematurely.

    That being said, having the iPhone is nice as a backup option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update!!! I got the new part this morning and installed it on my GPS. The thing is now working like a charm! The part cost me $23. Now what do I do with the GPS unit that I already bought!!??!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete