Saturday, November 10, 2012

Happy B-day R.!


You were not quite 3 on this trip to Sea World
Dear R.--

Happy Birthday!  I can't believe that you are 11 years old--to the minute!  I still remember going to the hospital and the second that you were born.  We were so happy to welcome you to our family and you have brought us much happiness since then.  I still remember holding your little hand as the nurses worked on you to get you breathing seconds after you were born.

As a brand new dad, I was trying to calm you to stop you from crying, but the nurses (who were a lot smarter than me) told me that it was great that you were crying so that you could exercise your little lungs.  
You before you left the hospital
I really do appreciate your love of learning.  It has been so fun to spend some extra time with you these past couple of weeks.  You blow me away with your thirst for knowledge and the way that your little brain has an almost unlimited ability to absorb information.  Like last Saturday, how we had that in depth conversation about black holes.

You are so talented and you have such a good heart.  I love that you also love music.  A talent that you must have gotten from your mom, since we don't have to remind you to practice the piano or the saxophone.  My mom would always have to remind me to go practice and I never did.  I love that you are so excited to play that you will do it on your own.

I also love your enthusiasm for new things and for life in general.  I hope that you never lose that.  It will serve you well in life.  That enthusiasm will lift the spirits of those around you and help them to feel happy as well.  I love that picture at the top because I can see the enthusiasm and happiness in your face as you reach out to pet that dolphin.  I had that picture on my desk in my office every day for years until I began to worry that it was fading to much, so now I keep it in my desk drawer.
I love that you love basketball
I also love that you love basketball.  I remember hearing you tell someone that basketball was your "natural sport."  It was so cute and I have had a lot of fun being able to coach you in different seasons and shoot hoops with you.  I look forward to being able to do that with you for many years to come!

Thanks as well for being such a good big brother and example to your younger brothers and your sister.  You are so gentle and tender with them.  That is because you have a good heart and a capacity to love others. That is a wonderful blessing that you have been given from Heavenly Father, so I hope that you always appreciate.

I know you are excited for today.  But even more important than your birthday is always trying to be the best person that you can be and to be kind to other people.  And always remember that we love you every day--not just on your birthday!

Love,

Dad



2 comments: