Monday, November 5, 2012

Say What?: 3 Slogans That Have Got To Go

I'm so glad that the election is almost over.  Here are three slogans that have really bugged me and I'm hoping we can leave them behind now that the election is almost over!

3. "Every Day Is Game Day"
Every Day is Gameday
Okay, this isn't a political slogan, but I've hated it all year long.  I really have no idea what it means and whatever it was supposed to mean, it means a lot less in light of the fact that we have lost 3 games so far by a total of 7 points.

Any athlete will tell you that you want to target your preparation so that you "peak" on game day.  Triathletes, for example, will "taper" their training so that they are geared to perform their best on "Game Day."  I suspect that our football might have played better if it had saved its best performance for Game Day.  

Maybe this is supposed to mean that you are supposed to try your best every day.  Great!  I agree with that, but that's a different slogan.  

We've had some bad marketing campaigns in BYU's sports history.  Does anyone remember how the basketball team claimed it was "Big Time Basketball" one year with a giant clock on the poster?  Seriously!  And I think I even got my picture on that poster and I didn't even bother to keep copy!

Maybe I'm just mad that the Marriott Center "police" confiscated my "COUGS KICK AZtecs" sign during one game because some of the tired old alumni were offended by it.  I was told that I could pick up my sign after the game.  I left that sign with the Campus Police.  I was sure that if I had picked it up, I would have had an unscheduled interview with the Honor Code Office!

Let's hope that the slogan for next year is better.  Too bad we can't re-use "Band of Brothers!"

2.  "Speak Truth to Power"
A famous truth teller
I don't know why, but I will forever link this quote with Hillary Clinton.  I saw it the other night in a movie that I was watching ("Fair Game"  It's an awful movie, don't bother watching it!).

Again, I'm not sure what this quote means exactly.  Shouldn't we always speak the truth?  I get the feeling that politicians use this when they want to speak half truths because otherwise why would they be congratulating themselves for speaking the truth?

Also, is Hillary Clinton honestly trying to tell us that she is willing to speak truth to power?  Last I checked, she was pretty powerful.  I wouldn't say that the Clinton family is kinda like the average family next door.

1. "We've Got More Work To Do/We've Come Too Far To Turn Back Now"
Obama on the Stump
I'm not sure why this bothers me so much, but I feel like I've heard this slogan a lot on the news over the past few days.  Every time I hear the President say it, this is what I think: "No Mr. President, you don't.  I think you've done enough already."

I'm still not sure how far "we've come."  And if we've gone anywhere, I'm not so sure that it's in the right direction, at least as far as the economy is concerned.

Sometimes, when you're in a hole, it's a good idea to stop digging.  Let's not keep digging.  Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment