Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wreck It Ralph

Wreck It Ralph and Vanellope von Schweetz
We did birthday festivities for R. pretty much all day today.  By the time that I had dropped off his friends at their house, I was ready for a break--even though his friends were great kids.

The highlight of the day was going to see "Wreck it Ralph".  I had E. there (4 years old), S. (8 years old), and a bunch of 10-11 year old boys.  All of them seemed to love the movie.  I got them some popcorn and never really heard from them for the rest of the show.

I had a quick moment where I dozed off for a second there in the movie, but by the time the first third was over, I had gotten into it quite a bit more.  Visually, the movie was great, and the storyline was interesting and fun.  At the beginning, Ralph seems kind of like an oafish brute, but he quickly becomes a very lovable and enduring protagonist.

I kind of really liked his recognition that he was good at breaking things.  I'm sure lots of kids will empathize with Ralph in part.  I just hope that my kids don't try too hard to copy him!
I'd say R. had fun at Golden Spoon

After the movie, I took the boys for fro-yo at Golden Spoon.  I can't really remember the last time I ever went to a Golden Spoon, but it was R.'s specific request.  I had the pumpkin pie flavored fro-yo, it was pretty good, but I should have had them combine a couple of flavors (cake batter perhaps?).

The boys had a lot of fun talking and doing boy stuff.  I'm not really sure what they were talking about, but everyone was laughing and clapping.  In what may have been my best parenting move of the day, I just tried to stay out of the way.

There was one other episode today that is worth mentioning because it was one of those little parenting moments.  Earlier in the day, I was busy doing some stuff in my room and realized that S. and R. were playing together in there as well.
Gratuitous shot from Golden Spoon

Someone must have told S. that it was R.'s birthday, because S. decided to give R. a massage.  I thought that was a really cute gesture on his part.  And I've been working with the boys a lot lately at trying to work on being best friends/brothers rather than arguing or fighting with each other.  Seeing S. do that all on his own made me think that maybe some of this parenting stuff is working!  :-)
S. pampers R. on his birthday
I had to run an errand later in the afternoon, but I brought home pizza--another birthday request from R  We ended the day by watching part of the BYU game together before everyone (but me) crashed.

Happy Bday, R!  I hope you had a great day!


2 comments:

  1. What a great Birthday for your big boy. I love all your parenting moves (especially the one where you stay out of the way... took me ages to get the hang of that one!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth! That means a lot because I was really impressed with your parenting ability to say no to Lucy even when I'm sure it would have been a lot easier to say "Yes" and not have to deal with the hassle!

    ReplyDelete