Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fire of the Covenant

I recently took a road trip with the kids.  We had plenty of time in the car, so I had us listening to this book on tape about the Mormon handcart pioneers.  My purpose was at least two fold.  Yes, I did want to "engage their little brains" so that they didn't fight or argue.  But I also wanted them to gain an appreciation and understanding of our pioneer heritage--especially because we have a direct ancestor that was a major figure in the tragedy that befell the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies.

The book is outstanding.  Gerald Lund does a great job of using historical fiction to humanize the story.  As I listened, however, I could not help but feel a certain sense of dread because I knew what lay ahead.  Yet, I was inspired by these pioneers who were willing to sacrifice everything to make it to Zion where they would have finally find religious freedom.

There are so many great stories from these pioneers.  I think one of my favorite, however, is the story of Levi Savage.  Levi Savage joined the Willie Handcart Company (a "Company" was a group of approximately 500 people who crossed the Plains together--in this case under the command of James G. Willie--hence the name "Willie" Handcart Company) in Iowa in the Summer of 1856 as the Company was preparing to head West.
17 Miracles (2011)
Levi Savage -- As portrayed in the film "17 Miracles"
He was literally completing a trip around the world that had begun nearly 4 years ago.  He had left Salt Lake City in 1852 to serve a mission to the Far East.  He passed through San Francisco before reaching Burma where he preached for 2.5 years.  His route home took him through India and on to Boston.

Savage had crossed the Plains before and he knew the hazards of the trail.  The Willie and Martin Handcart Companies were starting too late in the season and were courting disaster that could come with early Winter weather.  Before leaving Iowa, the handcart pioneers held a meeting to vote about whether they should go on to Utah or wait until Spring.

Levi Savage warned his fellow travelers that the crossing would be dangerous if they did not wait for the Spring.  When he was outvoted, Levi Savage is quoted as saying the following:  "What I have said I know to be true; but seeing you are to go forward, I will go with you, will help all I can, will work with you, will rest with you, and if necessary, will die with you. May God in his mercy bless and preserve us."

Of the 404 pioneers in the Martin Handcart Company that left Iowa on August 17, 1856, 68 died before reaching the Salt Lake Valley on November 9, 1856.  Levi Savage survived and helped lead the survivors on to Salt Lake.  In 1858, he married a widow that had been a part of that Company.  He went on to live a full live and died in 1910 at the age of 90.
The rescuers from the Salt Lake Valley help the handcart pioneers cross the icy Sweetwater River in Wyoming
I'm grateful for people like Levi Savage who have passed on a legacy of faith to us.  He was blessed for his faithfulness and his willingness to sacrifice.  But he did not know that he would be blessed at the time that he made his decision to help his fellow Saints in the Willie Company.  He had to have faith to do that because he did not know what the outcome would be or if he would even survive.  He had no guarantees, but he did what he felt was right even though he knew it would be difficult.

I know my children loved listening to this book on tape during our trip.  But I hope that this was more than just a good story for them.  I hope that they can learn to develop their own faith as strong as Levi Savage and the other handcart pioneers.


No comments:

Post a Comment