Monday, July 15, 2013

I Would Walk 3,000 Miles

Juan Bandito Rides Again
Many of you have probably heard that song: "I Wanna Be (500 Miles)" by the Proclaimers.  The chorus of the catchy song talks about walking 500 miles.  Well, last week, I got to drive 3,000 miles to get myself and my two oldest kids (R. and S.) to a family reunion up at Bear Lake, Utah.

Over the course of the past 8 days, I have driven nearly 3,000 miles (approx. 2,900 to be exact) which took 19 hours of drive time each way.  We got to spend the week with about 120 members of my family, including sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins (both near and distant)--including some I'd never met.  But by the time the week was over, I felt like I'd known these new-found cousins for years.

I've always felt like I've been blessed with a pretty awesome family and extended family.  That was confirmed this week over and over.  I have cousins who I practically grew up with (or watched them grow up) who feel more like siblings to me than cousins.  I sure am grateful for the love and support that I feel from them.

Here's a quick photo dump of a few of the highlights from the week:
R. and my brother SLD doing a little stand up paddleboarding...
Jordo and me
S. and I doing some tubing...It was S.'s first time ever on a boat.  I was proud of him for being so brave.
Later, I decided to try a trick that I saw one of my younger cousins doing.  It looked a lot easier when they were doing it!
"Hitchhiking" is jumping from one tube to the other while the boat is moving
Making sand castles with the cousins
Cousins...B-Man and S.
We also hiked a mountain....
R. contemplates the Universe
Hiking back down the mountain...the wildflowers were so incredibly beautiful
My family has given me a legacy of faith and I'm so grateful to be a part of our family tree!
Our (partial) family tree...
Some pics of my grandpa from his polar explorations
And then I was grateful to make it back and to see the rest of my kids...
I think it's impossible to get all four kids looking at the camera at the same moment!
It was a great week and a lot of fun to spend some time with my kids.  I hope that they will draw the same strength and comfort from our family tree that I have.  I think that this bunch is definitely worth driving 3,000 miles!

PS--The pic above is my kids with the lead actor in the play "Bandito Rides Again" which we saw at the Pickleville Playhouse on Thursday night.  The play was a complete riot and my kids were practically rolling in the aisles.  I'd definitely go see it again.


2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. I am glad you had such a great time. Did you get a chance to see Julie? We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A face without a mustache is no face at all! Yes, that just happened. :) Good to see you!

    ReplyDelete