Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Batch: Reality Bites Edition

Desiree didn't take the news well...
Is anyone out there still watching the Batch?  I didn't think so.  So last night, Des' fairy tale got interrupted when one of her suitors--Brooks from Salt Lake City--dropped the bomb on her.  So, as it turns out, Brooks just isn't that into her.

Des was devastated and it was probably one of the most real moments that I've ever seen on any "reality" tv show--The Batch or otherwise.  She cried.  Brooks cried.  I took no pleasure in it.  In fact, my heart went out to Des because I thought that her reaction was so genuine and so sincere.

I also really liked the way that Des handled it with class--a quality that is growing increasingly rare in our society.  She told him that she didn't care what he said, that she still loved him, and that she wasn't afraid to say it, even as Brooks was casting her aside.

And then Des told Brooks something that I think every guy (and certainly every contestant on The Batch) dreams of hearing someday:

  • Des: "You want to know why I was conflicted throughout this whole thing?  Cause I didn't want to share my heart, I wanted to give it to you.  That's why I was conflicted.  And when I was going on dates, I wanted to go on dates with you.  And that was why, this entire thing, I have been conflicted."
  • Brooks' incredibly articulate response (I guess to himself???): "Sorry, I'll shut up.  It's not helping."
I know that it's hard to believe that a young (presumably) Mormon dude might have commitment issues (even with a beautiful, articulate, classy girl).  I mean Brooks, has been around the world to exotic locations and one-of-a-kind dates with an incredibly beautiful, vibrant, famous,  and possibly wealthy(?) young woman who is totally into him...what more could he possibly want?  Of course, for all Brooks knows, there might be someone incredibly better around the corner for him, so the smart move was definitely to let Des go.  :-/
Brooks attempts to comfort Des
Yes, Brooks is a dufus.  But I guess I respect him for at least telling Des now rather than going through the farce of having her pick him only to break up 3 months down the road.  Of course, no Batch contestant would ever fake a relationship just for the show...

...well you know, other than Jef (with one F) and Emily; Jason Mesnick and whats-her-face; Jake Pavelka and Vienna (Snausages); Kasey ("Guard and Protect Your Heart") Kahl....  Oh nevermind!

My guess is that Des shuts it down.  There will be no hometown for the guys to meet Des' family (thank heavens for small favors that we don't have to see her brother again) and there will be no proposal.  It could well be the most dramatic Bachelor finale ever.  And this time they might actually be right.


1 comment:

  1. PS--Chris is quite possibly the worst poet that I've ever been forced to listen to...It's a good thing that he had a baseball career because if he had to make a living with his poems, he probably starve or--even worse--be chased out of town by ordinarily peaceful village folk brandishing pitchforks and torches!

    ReplyDelete