Sunday, July 21, 2013

Car Swap

"So long, farewell...adieu to you and you and you..."
I said good-bye forever yesterday to an old friend.  It was a little bittersweet, but it was time.  And while I'll miss my friend, I will take some happy memories with me.

Two weeks ago, I swapped cars with my dad so that I could drive to our family reunion up at Bear Lake.  My dad's car hadn't been driven in about six months and it had a little bit more space for the trip.  Plus, I think there was some concern about whether my Saturn would actually survive the drive.

In two weeks, I put over 3,000 miles on the Ford Fusion above.  It is being sold, so I probably won't be able to enjoy driving it again.  It's not a very fancy car, but it was peppy, responsive, and had satellite radio (a huge plus for the wide open desert landscapes that I had to drive through late into the night).  I'll never forget being able to take that trip with R. and S.  I hope they have happy memories too.  
Good times in the Fusion
I had so much fun and was so grateful for those good memories that I didn't even complain when I had to vacuum out Chex crumbs from the little holes in the leather seats in the back yesterday (I had to use a safety pin dislodge the little crumbs!).  The Ford Fusion got us home safely and I'm grateful to my Dad for being so good to us.

It was a bit surreal to get back into my Saturn and turn the ignition.  It was like seeing an old friend and I have lots of good memories of this car as well (see here and here for some recent ones).  At about 245,000 miles, the Saturn has certainly given me a good return on my investment and been very reliable.  But one day, it'll be time to move on.  And I'll be looking forward making some great memories in that (new) vehicle too.


No comments:

Post a Comment