Thursday, July 18, 2013

Blackout!

This is my view right now as I sit on my porch overlooking the ocean. The lights went out a few minutes ago. My town has probably never been this dark. An orange moon stands vigil over incoming fog while a few street lights below blink red.

It's cool out tonight and for that I am thankful. Especially after enduring the heat of Arizona and parts of Utah as I traveled last week. 

I managed a run tonight. Nothing spectacular, just my regular "Walmart 10k" course. Sometimes routine is good. 

There must be a parliament of owls living near my house, because I saw two if them during my run. 

I'm lucky I saw them because they looked like white shadows gliding gracefully and silently through the night. I only noticed them because they were so much lighter than the dark shadows surrounding them.  Right now, in this darkness and without any streetlights, I'm sure that I would never have seen or heard them. 
Bambi and Thumper
There is a lot of wildlife in our area, even though I feel like we are solidly in the suburbs. The other night, I turned a corner and almost hit a deer that was standing in the middle of the road!

It's funny because twenty years ago, while I was on my mission I'm the Dominican Republic, I don't remember a single day where the power didn't go out at least once--often for hours at a time. It was a part of life I'm the D.R.  Now, the power goes out and I barely know what to do with myself. 

It's nearly midnight. I guess maybe ill just go to bed...


No comments:

Post a Comment