Friday, July 5, 2013

Snorkeling With The Sharks

Note the Hapari Boardshorts
My brother and I decided to celebrate the 4th by going snorkeling down at La Jolla Cove and La Jolla Shores.  It's been years since I'd been there, but it was amazing.  The water was warm and refreshing and visibility was pretty decent.  We saw scores of garibaldi, dozens of barracuda, leopard sharks, a school of soupfin sharks, sea lions, and even a cool looking Pacific Coast jelly fish.
Heading Out...Note how I've mastered diving hand signals even though I'm not scuba certified!
A large (6+ foot) soupfin shark
The sharks weren't as scary as I would have thought.  I spotted a young (2-3 foot) leopard shark and swam along him for a bit.  Then a bit later, my brother and I came across a school of soupfin sharks.  They were swimming probably about 10-15 feet below us and they kept on coming and coming from out of the slightly murky depths.  I counted at least 6--all 6+ feet in length.  My brother thinks that there may have been at least 10.  Here's a quick video which an idea of what it was like.

These barracuda looked like mini missiles in the water.  There were too many to count.
These sea lions were quick and unpredictable in the water.  Fortunately, they didn't seem too concerned with us around.  That was a good thing because I was actually more nervous around the sea lions than I was around the sharks.  They were fun to watch and I kept hoping that we'd see a sea lion catch a fish--but it was not to be.
A sea lion swims amidst the garibaldi.
We also saw a bat ray gliding along.

Heading for home...
(Great job to my brother for all of these cool pics!)


No comments:

Post a Comment